Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tug of war stagities

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Aug 2, 2004.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

august 14th I will be competing in the King 4X4 Challenge. The challenge will consist of a mud bog, rock garden and tug of war. I have never realy done tug of war befor and was wondering if you have any advise.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Slow and steady. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Add weight

More weight does two things....
    1. It's harder for your oponent to pull
    2. It puts more weight on your tires (more traction)

Put your hitch as high as possible (unless regulated). This will cause his vehicle to pull down on yours (increase your traction) and yours to lift his (reduce his traction).

4. great scott

not allowed to add weight between events or I would drop the bumbers and winch for the mud bog. But I like the highest hitch point Idea.

5. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

I've never tried it because I've never had something tough enough that I wasn't afraid would break... but what if you hold the brakes until he starts spinning and then hit it yourself?? I guess that won't work if his truck is really powerful and can drag yours even with the wheels locked up. I dunno... just a thought!!!

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to let some air out of your tires to help increase traction.

7. great scott

Airing down is on my list as for waiting for the other guy to spin /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's all about power/gearing, traction, and most importantly weight. The heaviest guy WILL win unless the lighter guy has much better rubber on the ground and or has some serious power. Autos are by far the best for tug of war because if you know you are heavier and have some ponies ease into the throttle and adjust to where you aren't getting pulled backwards but aren't pulling yourself. if he pulls hard enough with the lighter vehicle he will break traction. This is where the ponies and auto come into play....when he breaks traction and you are holding both trucks still hammer on it and you should hook up and pull him. Thats the way to do it basically, if he knows how to pull also than thats when it gets interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd say just try not to break traction first or at all. I'm sure easier said than done. Have fun. Are you all locked up?

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'll second the idea of putting the hitch higher. I've heard the same advice before.

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

He who spins his tires first, pretty much looses. Slow steady application of throttle to start, and then no more than it takes to pull him along. The one who jumps the gun and gives it too much go juice will usually loose.

I like the idea about the higher hitch too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. great scott

I am running a 500 hp 454, SM 465, doubler, locked ff 14b and locked 35 spline D60 all hooking up on 39.5 boggers.

13. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    500 hp 454

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I am running a 500 hp 454, SM 465, doubler, locked ff 14b and locked 35 spline D60 all hooking up on 39.5 boggers.

[/ QUOTE ]You will be hard to beat then. That 465 won't do much for you though, it will be hard on the clutch.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You will be hard to beat then. That 465 won't do much for you though, it will be hard on the clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]I prefer a stick for pull backs. Most people with a auto tranny just floor it thinking they'll over power ya. I prefer the stick, slow and steady. Just leave it in granny low.

16. great scott

realy grany low? I was thinking the highest gear I could grunt would be the best so I could spin if needed. The track is compacted dirt. My oproch at this time would have been stick it in stock low range second gear, ease into the trotle, try not spin if he hooks up better I was going to matt it and try to dig in. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. gatorbait

gatorbait Registered Member

Tug of War in the dirt? I think others assumed as I did that you were talking about Tugging on concrete surface. Unless trucks are highly mismatched for weight and tires etc. neither will pull in the dirt (you both will likely dig down without making any progress). I have never seen Tug of war in the dirt. We have tried it and unless it is fullsize versus Toyota or something neither truck can make any progress other than downward quick.

my .02

18. great scott

I have in practice pulled against 2 other blazers. One with dual lockers, 35" ATs, and ho 350. The other with rear locker, 35" ATs, stock 454. Both, I easily pulled over the line, one even tacoed the rear drive line.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

We used to log chain our frames and tug o war on gravel. Lots of fun if you don't care about getting the paint all chipped up on the back of your truck.

20. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I've only seen one tug of war, and it was in the dirt. The guy that won was driving a mid-eighties ford 1/2 ton shortbed with 35" boggers. He drove very aggresively. He had a manual and dumped the clutch at high RPM the instant the flag dropped and didn't let off until he won. He would get the other truck moving backwards before the other truck even started to go, outpulled many 3/4 ton chevies and a CTD dodge.