Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tulsa Winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudnmyvayne, Jan 26, 2007.

1. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

I have a antique elect. tulsa winch that hasnt been used in 10 yrs. It worked fine before it was set aside and hidden under some junk. Its been exposed to to the elements the whole time.
    The winch is rated at 10k#. I think itll make a fine winch for the rear of my rig as I already have a warn 12k in the front.

Whats the best way to get this old thing back in working condition? When I apply power all it does it 'click'.
    Should I rebuild the motor?

2. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

Use 2 positive jumpers to the winch motor to see if it will turn. Solenoids can click and still not work correctly. Test all the solenoids connections with a test light to be sure they are working right and be sure you have a good ground to the winch motor. Thats a few things I would try before having the electric motor rebuilt.

3. Dogman12

Dogman12 1/2 ton status

You can buy the whole solenoid package from Northen Tool for around 60. bucks. Pull the motor off and carfully take it apart, clean the armature and make sure it spins free, then put back together. The brake can also stick from sitting. If the motor has bearings front and back i would have it rebuilt over buying a new one as these are the heavy duty ones, if just single bearing the Ramsey moters on ebays should bolt up and they go for about 80-100. These winches are built better then the new ones for sure.