Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tune up for my 90 blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DALE, Sep 17, 2000.

1. DALE

DALE Registered Member

HA GUYS HOWS IT GOING? ANYWAY I WANT TO TUNE UP MY BLAZER AND I NEED HELP ON WHAT BRAND AND PART NUMBERS FOR REALLY GOOD PLUGS,WIRES, ROTOR, CAP,GAS FILTER.I HAVE A STOCK 350 WITH 100,000 MILES AND A K&N FILTER.ALSO IT WILL SOON BE TIME FOR BRAKES WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR FRONT PADS(I TOW A 4000LB BOAT). PLEASE HELP AS I AM A NEWBIE TO OWNING THE BEST TRUCKS EVER MADE. WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT MY REAR WINDOW RATTLES WHEN UP,BUT WHEN IT'S DOWN IT DOES NOT RATTLE

THANX......."RIDNHI"

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have MSD wires on mine and they are good. A good set of spark plugs isn't that expensive and you can get some BOSCH platinums for a buck or two each. Just about any fuel filter is good, just as long as you keep it changed. Try to get an Accel or MSD cap, they are probably a little better than an OE replacement. Good luck

90K5

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I agree with the platinum plugs, I have always liked the Bosch platinums, and have never had a problem with them. Autolite has some as well but they are very pricey, and also the Champion truck plugs. If there is an Autozone (or any other parts store) in your area, see if they have a brass cap and rotor. Brass conducts better than the aluminum (OE type) type cap and rotors. They should probably have a Accel type that fits the stock HEI that you probably have. I have an all MSD setup on my Nova, and the wires are very good (MSD), however expensive (about $90-100) for the set, when I bought them last (4-5 years ago). If you have a stock motor a good set of wires OE wires will be ok, but you get what you pay for. A decent set of wires will probably cost about $50-70 for a set. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

For brakes go to Autozone and buy "Performance Friction" Carbon metallic pads. Best out there. BELIEVE ME!!

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

For spark plug wires, you can get the 25ft. roll of MSD red superconductor wire (#34019), MSD spark plug boots (#8849) and MSD HEI boots (#8850). You just have to assemble them and you'll save about $20 over the preassembled one. Each boot kit includes 9 boots and 9 connectors in case you make a mistake. I ordered them from http://www.summitracing.com. 25ft is more than enough for a small block.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    For parts, I like to just use stuff from Autozone, Checker, or Pepboys. Almost everything has a lifetime warranty and you can easily get the warranty honored.
    "Mail Order" is a PITA, you have to wait, then if it's wrong... then for warranty... it's just not worth the hassle!
    PLUGS Don't waste money on expensive plugs!(splitfire, rapid fire, 4 prong[​IMG]) any platinum plug will be fine, and you will not notice any difference between a $1 or $2 a piece and a $5 or $6 a piece plug.
    CAP & ROTOR Any brand with "brass contacts" are great! The real cheapies have aluminum or steel contacts, don't get those!
    WIRES I like the "autolite" ones they are very good and have a lifetime warranty (I think Checker sells them).
    You can buy all this stuff for around $50 to $60.
    or you could buy all the fancy sh!t for well over $100 and you will never know the difference.
    Yes the pads and shoes from Autozone are very good and they have a "Lifetime guarantee" so you will never pay for them twice!
    For the rear window rattle just shove a match book in there between the glass and the tailgate[​IMG]
    AND WHY ARE YOU YELLING??????

7. DALE

DALE Registered Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE PERFORMANCE FRICTION BRAKES. I WENT TO AUTO ZONE AND GOT THEM (27.99)W/ LIFETIME WARRENTY
    THANX "RIDNHI"

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dale,

I can't add much to the good advice you have received already about tune-ups but I would like to add my thoughts about your window rattle. The window sash(the part that holds the glass) rides in window runners on either side of the tail gate. The runners have a felt liner in them. I suspect that the felt has worn away and you have a metal to metal situation when the window is rolled up. I recently replace most of the parts for the window in my '90 Jimmy. I found all of the felt in the bottom of the tail gate stopping up the drain holes.