Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tune Up HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ED70K5, Sep 12, 2000.

1. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I'm basically a suspension installer and never really messed with engines, so here it goes! I want to do a tune up on my 350.....4-bolt main engine. I have figured out changing the plugs, wires cap/rotor, oil, fuel filter, air filter.............what else should I do??? I'm going to do this myself, cause I can't stand to pay somebody to work on my 70 K5.

Blazin' in TEXAS!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

After you replace the parts you mentioned adjust the timming and air/fuel on your carb, mabie squirt down your carb with some carb cleaner first. Before you begin all this you could also give your motor a bath by soaking it in degreaser then hose it off. When I do this I will usually put a plastic bag over the carb and soak the whole motor with Foamy Engine Bright, then rinse.
    Hope this helps....

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

you could also check to see if your antifreeze is still good.(auto parts stores sell an inexpensive tool for this). Thats kind of important around me with winter approaching. You might want to just visually inspect the engine compartment for oil leaks and the like. I find I'm more confident if I do a once over.......js

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Also change the PCV valve if you have one. And inspect your belts and Vacuum lines.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue> Let's not forget about the breather filter as well. Fyi, make sure that you pull the sparkplug wires one at a time, to avoid mixing them up. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Shoot the timing. That can't hurt.
    What about abjusting the rockers? I'm never done it, but I hear all you do is take off the valvecovers, start her up, and adjust them to no backlash and then 3/8 turn. Sounds pretty straightforward except for the hot oil thing ;)
    Anyone done this? I imagine it'll make more of a difference on a high-mileage motor.
    -- Mike

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>That's not for a novice to do (adjusting the valves), before you know it, it will be running like crap. I think that is better left for someone with a little more experience. - Steve</font color=blue>

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

People change head gaskets all the time on these 350's. The valves sound like a pain to do, but it can't be difficult.
    You'll never learn anything unless you try. To a novice, chnaging the oil can seem like too much.
    Take it easy
    -- Mike

9. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I never said that it is impossible to do, however he stated "never really messed with engines". I would not recommend that he should try, especially without a manual (which might help) or some supervision (preferably a mechanic). I have worked on most of my motors for years and I always dreaded (get out of it if I can) adjusting the valves. Everyone has their own technique (there are no absolutes, ex. torque x-amount etc.), and for most people it is not that difficult, however for people who don't know that much about engines it can turn out to be a nightmare!!</font color=blue> <font color=red> BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!</font color=red><font color=blue> I am not trying to argue about this subject, I am merely stating experiences (personal or other), however as you have stated "What about abjusting the rockers? I'm never done it, but I hear all you do is take off the valvecovers, start her up, and adjust them to no backlash and then 3/8 turn. Sounds pretty straightforward except for the hot oil thing", it can cause problems for a rookie (even me included). - Steve (Good luck all)</font color=blue>

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Instead ao a carb cleaner, just dump about half a quart of ATF down the carb SLOWLY and it will clean the carb and get carbon out of the engine. Do this while its running.

90K5

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Adjusting the valves can be a daunting experience at best, my first time I had oil flying everywhere. If you are going to try this, and by all means , it is a good experience, have a manual, get the rocker clips that will stop the oil from flying out of the rockers. Also...check to see that oil IS coming from the rockers. I've had to remove and clean a few pushrods that were clogged over the years.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, I don't think you want to dump ATF down the carb[​IMG].
    If you wish to use the ATF trick to clean out the carbon then the best way, from what I have read is to put a small amount into a jar then pull a main vacume source at the base of the carb and 'suck' it into the intake WITHOUT going thru the carb.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com