Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tune-up Parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BulldogK5, Apr 3, 2007.

1. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I need to do a major tune-up on the crew cab and was wondering what kind of parts you guys are using for the cap, rotor, plugs, etc. I use this truck for an every other daily driver and a sometimes when necessary tractor hauler. Mostly used for hauling landscaping & building materials if it is put to work any. It is a '91 350 with no known mods other than the obligatory K&N filter. Also, what about the fuel filters? Which to use?

Thanks guys.

2. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Morning Ward!
    I worked at O'Reilly Autoparts for a couple of years and I'm sure I'm a little biased but I love their Borg Warner Electrical parts, such as wires, cap, and rotor. They also sell Wix filters (same people who make the Napa Gold Series filters) and I've never had a bad experience and have never heard anything bad about them, from CK5 or anyone else. AC Delco plugs are also a must. What else are you looking to change? It's all a little bit more expensive but I feel you get what you pay for.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Personally when I get the chance, I buy OE filters. I recently changed the fuel filter on my 1997 C2500 pickup. The filter on it had been there for about 25,000 miles. When I removed it, I heard a clunk... I cut it open with my body saw, only to find the element inside had crushed in on itself, and disconnected fromt he inside of the filter. Effectively, it was no longer filtering anything! And who knows for how long. I installed a new AC Delco filter.

I used to work at a Ford dealer and personally witnessed the change from an almost brand new Napa Fuel Filter to a Motorcraft filter increase fuel pressure!

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure about motorcraft, but I don't think AC Delco filters are nearly as good as they once were, their oil filters appear to have about the same quality as a Fram now-a-days.

5. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks guys. Apparently it's Delco or nothing for the filters. What about the plug wires, anybody using the Moroso stuff. Summit has a complete set of wires, cap, rotor and wire looms for $100. Is something like this worth it?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

*Personally* I think replacing the cap and rotor is completely and utterly pointless if they pass a visual inspection.

If they are cracked, toss them. If the rotor is worn, replace it. But if the terminals are clean (inside and out for the cap) or just have some corrosion, clean them off and re-install. There is nothing more than what you see to either one of them, and absolutely no reason to replace them "just because". If they pass a visual inspection, there is nothing wrong with them...unlike plugs and wires, which are constructed in a way that does not allow you to inspect them thoroughly visually. They can look fine and not work correctly.

On the ignition side, your distributor wiring, plugs, plug wires, and distributor advance mechanisms are the common failure/replace points. If any of those are bad, you will have a poor running engine, and they are either items that should be replaced regularly, or are ones that consistently fail over time.

As to the summit complete set, IF you have to replace everything it comes with, and they are high quality, probably not a bad deal. But if your other components are good, why not spend $100 on some great plug wires instead of $100 on lesser quality components?

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think AC delco oil filters are now made by Champ labs. They look like a Champ filter. Delphi made their filters too but since GM got rid of Delphi who knows who make what for them.
    IIRC Delphi closed the AC delco spark plug plant in Michigan down a couple of years ago. Heard the plugs are Mecho en Mexico now but dont know if that is a rumor or not.