Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tune Up Parts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Jun 16, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    Here is my problem. When I’m at a dead stop at gun the engine the truck takes off and I consistently have a severe loss of power then it picks up again. Some time I can notice that the truck seems to be running uneven at cruising speeds as well but that is much harder to notice.
    I have bought a fuel filter but I have not put it in yet. The closest feeling that I have had to this in the past was when my fuel pump went out. But I don’t believe that this is the problem 1 because the fuel pump is not that old and 2 because when the fuel pump went it did not last as long as the problem I have now and it was totally unpredictable.
    So I’m thinking that it is time for a tune up I know that my spark plugs are fine and I’ll probably end up paying for new wires, cap, and rotor. I’d like to order the parts online at summitracing but for one I’m not sure what equipment is good to buy and if any one knows part numbers or a better deal it would really be appreciated.
    Also a side note I see a lot of people that have cleaned up there way there sparkplugs are run and I was wondering if there is a kit or what was done to get them looking so good. I’ve bought the wire dividers before but the wires are just kind of laying around right now and I really like that tight put together look and the idea that I’m sure that the plug wires are secure and away from the headers.
    I have an 86-carbed 350, original engine I have currently have accel wires, ukn cap and rotor. All of these parts are about 3 years. I’m running hooker headers and 3-inch cat back exhaust.
    Thanks for any help.
    Anthony

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Try that fuel filter first, It sounds like your carb is starving for fuel. Maybe your float level could be off.

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Yeah do the filter first, but I dont think thats it unless the truck surges over and over again after the initial power loss.
    Sounds like an accelerator pump problem in the carb, or maybe you have a severe vacuum leak or a bad gasket on the carb and/or manifold.

4. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I shouldnt have a carb leak becasue i recently replaced the carb gasket and had someone else help me out with trouble shooting vaccum leaks. unless something has happend in the past month and 1/2. i have been so lazy about replacing that fuel filter but i'll get it done this weekend i wish i had an aircondidtioned garage that my truck fits in. durring the day i can't even touch my truck with out hosing it down first it's so hot!
    king

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status