Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tune up question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, May 5, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I need to tune my truck up. I doubt I will be able to get it into the garage that my buddy runs/owns due to my work schedule. So after work each night I will be puttering on my 82 to get the exhaust on and tuned up. It has a holley man choke (still need to get a cable for it...) think 600 cfm. It slightly backfires sometimes when ya get on it hard or let off too quick. It looked a little damp when I remopved my plugs, so I thought maybe too much fuel. I need to also take one of my timing lights to it to see where it stands on the timing aspect. I do not know how to tune the holley, and think maybe that needs to be done. Any tuneup advice very much welcomed! :D :waytogo:

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

holley has a pdf on their site on adjusting their carbs. Or you can use a vacuum gauge to set the fuel mixture.

3. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Big_Truxx, my 327 used to back fire with the Q-Jet, but the new 355 hasn't yet with the Holley or the Q-Jet... sounds like some issues with the carb if it was maybe rebuilt wrong or not properly jetted...

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, might want to try jetting it down a bit, see what happens. It's a trial and error process.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Holley huh??

If thats an older style Holley carb,it might need a power valve--they get their diaphram ruptured when it backfires sometimes,and that will make it dump raw fuel in all the time,when it normally would stay shut until you floor it--that can cause it to run rich,load up,and foul the plugs eventually...might check into that... :crazy:

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well I put it in brand new out of the box about a year ago... and I really do not care to do trial and error on rejetting it because I do not know what I am doing there and also do not wish to keep throwing money at it in a blind attempt to fix it when I do not know all about it :haha:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I also just brought my spark plug gap back to 35 from about 45 i think. I will see when I get the exhaust all welded up and fire it up and put a timing light on it and see what all goes on