Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tune up suggestions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smokkey1, May 2, 2004.

1. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well its time for a good tune up and was wondering. what do you guys use for wires,plugs oil stuff like that? what should I use and not use? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck but I don't want to sacrifice performance. btw it's an 350tbi.

thanks

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It has been a long time since I have done a tune-up, but my favorite combination of parts was:

Fram 8mm Spark Plug Wires

AC Delco Spark Plugs

Standard Ignition parts (in the blue box, not the red)

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I think I might try those ac delco..

4. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

I like to use either Accel or ACDelco cap and rotor, for plug wires either MSD or ACDelco, spark plugs ACDelco or NGK, oil Castrol synthetic, various filters (oil, air, crankcase, fuel, etc...) Fram, pcv valve fram, and finally 02 sensor ACDelco or Bosch.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

have you tried Accel plug wires? I was thinking of getting a set not real sure yet

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sure others will disagree, but for cap/rotor, I don't replace unless they are visibly shot. Check the cap plug wire/coil terminals to make sure they aren't loose, and look at the cap itself for cracks. Of course inspect the "button" on the cap to make sure it is still in good shape too.

The contacts tend to corrode, that is easily corrected with a few minutes and some sandpaper. Those parts aren't really expensive to replace, but if they are bad, you will know it when you pull them. There is almost no wear on them, unlike plugs which see a lot of stress, and wires that see a lot of heat.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure others will disagree, but for cap/rotor, I don't replace unless they are visibly shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even wait that long. I get ribbed a lot by my friend TJ because I replace them too often. I do major tune up every March with all new parts , whether the cap and rotor look bad at all. I replace my wires too. I am also overkill with filters, new air filter every month or 2 trips out wheeling, sometimes one trip out if its really dusty . I should get a K&N. I am sure some caps/rotors were probably ok, I just baby my truck too much /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I got the sub back in november 03'.the privious owner had just changed the oil and plugs. but that's all I know so I figured I might as well change out alot of the stuff and start off fresh.

9. dyeager535

Same cap/rotor on the truck that I bought (well used when I got it) ran it for about 5 years, cleaned twice, got 18MPG best, averaged 15MPG freeway, 10-13 city. Those mileage numbers were enough to sell me on used parts being perfectly adequate when in good shape.

Not bad considering everything that conspired to defeat economy on that truck. That was my main gauge of the engines performance, economy. If economy suffered, something was wrong, and that was always the case.

I'm not going to skimp on something like oil, I don't have the equipment to test the additives and how much its broken down, but something I can visibly inspect, I won't replace "just because".

Heck, the way things are now, replacing known good, but used, parts is riskier than leaving them in place with the aftermarkets track record.

10. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    dyeager, what was your motor trans combo with those #'s? I would like to get the reusable air and oil filters. I like to change my filters often, but it would be cool to just clean them.

11. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Hey, what was the name of that company posted awhile back with reuseable oil filters.That might help save some dough over time kind of like a K&N does.

12. dyeager535

Q-jet/350(unknown innards, wasn't anything special, 10+ years old, many many miles)/manifolds/duals/465/205/10 bolts/3.42's/33x10.5R15.

5000lbs, no lift, factory air dam and spoiler, clutch fan. 87 octane "cheap gas" (Arco) exclusively.