Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tune Up Time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Feb 11, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

The truck has been boggin down lately so I think a tune up is in order. My question is about the plugs. Any special kind to get or any to stay away from. At the shop where I work we have the regular old champion plugs in stock. Should I go ahead and replace the plug wires as well? From the records the truck was lasted tuned up 3 years ago by my boss. Heres what Im planning on replacing: Fuel Filter, Plugs/?Wires? If theres anything else Im missin let me know since this is the first tune up this thing will have had since Ive owned it

2. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

OK, on the plugs, champion truck plugs will be fine. AC Delco's are said to be the best. Stay away from Autolite, they are unreliable.

Plugs
    Wires
    Cap
    Rotor
    Air Cleaner
    2 cans of Combustion chamber/Top end cleaner

Take one can of cleaner and spray the entire contents of the can down the carb, smoke and sputtering will follow, just keep the throttle going until the can is gone.

Take the next can of cleaner, remove all spark plugs, spray down each one of the spark plug holes until all the can is gone. Hit the key a few time to turn the engine over and shoot the cleaner out of the spark plug holes. Re-install OLD spark plugs. Start vehicle and drive around neighborhood until all smoke is gone. Take out old plugs and install the new plugs and the rest of the tune up stuff.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah is there any particular brand of plug wires I should get. Im obviously not going to use the CarQuest brand. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I stay away from replacing the cap and rotor unless they are phsyically damaged. Loose terminals, cracks, severe corrosion, etc.

Even a slight amount of corrosion on the terminals is fine, just sand it down to bare metal. If it's pitted, forget it, but if its simply a light "covering", sand it down and call it good.

Plug wires are hard to test, 3 years you probably should replace them. Not a bad idea to keep them as spares though.