Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tuned port injection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, May 11, 2001.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Has any body put TPI on their blazer. Also how hard is it to do this and how much does it cost overall and is it worth it. The reason is i have a rebuilt 305 with the original carburator and i get 8-9 miles per gallon that is horrable we have rebuilt the carburator 2 times already just seems to get worse. So please any body that knows anything please leave your input.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

A 305 gets worse gas milage then a 350 sometimes. I'm gonna put TPI on my blazer one day and I'm expecting 3,000. They do have kits for it.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

Your best bet would be to get a camaro or firebird parts car with a Tuned port injection system. In my local autotrader right now we have a TPI 87 T/a for sale for 800.00 and a TPI 86 Z/28 for 750.00. Current E-bay prices for a complete system is about 800.00. So if you purchase the car you get all the parts for a complete running system and know it runs. You can purchase used tpi systems for a few hundred dollars but not complete. Remember you need the tpi system but also the computer, wirring harness, pully system to clear the tpi, fuel pump, all sensors. If you purchase a 300 tpi just a new wirring harness will cost about 700.00 then you need more, this can quickly add up to 3,000. So get a car take what you want and sell the car my last swap I sold the car and made money on it and had the complet turn key TPI for free. Also different years have different systems. 80's use a maf sensor that monitors air entering the engine. This system is easy to modify for more power but the maf sensor is a few hundred dollars to replace and takes up room in front of the engine. 90's style uses a map sensor that monitors engine vaccum. This style is harder to add performance parts to without computer changes but is small and cost under 40.00 to replace. Also intake manifold bolt angle changed from 86-87 so you may need to grind to fit your engine. Basically it looks sweet has killer low rpm power and can wheel at any angle. My carb t/a gets about 17 mpg, my tpi t/a gets about 24 mpg. Basically get a tpi book from your book store and read up. Once you know what your doing its simple but you need to know before you can go. I might even have a complete system for sale off an 88 Iroc in a week or two.

4. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock makes a complete tpi system, it has everything that you will need to install it. Their catalog says subjested list price is around $2100.00, but I was given a price of $1100.00 at a local performance shop. I am thinking of putting this on the 350 that I am going to build.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think any of the aftermarket TPI kits are as well thought out nor perform as well as the factory setups FWIW What aftermarket company can compete with GM's R&D budget?

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. TPI86

TPI86 1/2 ton status

I installed a TPI system on my 86 K5 350 it it was well worth it. You get great throttle response from it. Check out my page I have some TPI info on it. http://www.tpiblazer.coloradok5.com I presently have two TPI systems for sale see my page.

7. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

I bought my TPI unit on EBAY last month. I paid $600 including shipping. I got everything, the upper/lower, computer, harness, injectors, rails, MAF, fuel pump, AND both cylinder heads off an 89 IROC "Z" 350. I see TPI units going for $250-$450 without the cylinder heads but otherwise complete. EBAY seems to be the best place to buy them. Just go to the home page and do a search for TPI.

Mine isn't installed yet, I'm waiting to rebuild the motor with a 383 =)

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

extremeblazer has good advice. I did my TPI conversion almost two years ago much the same way, had a bud with a trashed IROC (rod through block) but the entire top end was good, including all the TPI stuff. Point here to keep in mind is you need post '87 heads to match up with the TPI intake. Think the aftermarket is coming out with new intakes that bolt up to earlier heads, but not sure if they are available yet. The best way to go on the wiring is using an aftermarket harness (easier to trace wires as they are marked!). We put this on my 406SB, the whole package was rebuilt/optimized/frankensteined 6 months ago. There is a noticeable improvement in throttle response with TPI, low end torque is great, power is there anytime you need it, and the mileage is better than a Qjet or equivalent. But like said above, you will NOT get 20 mpg in these pigs, might see 15 or so if you keep off the loud pedal and build the motor for mileage. Mine is not built for mileage but last time I checked the mpg is was 15, with a mix of around town and freeway (and I was trying for mileage............well, sorta [​IMG]). Hard not to use the gobs of power when you can, ya know?

Anyway, you get a Bosch electric fuel pump (PN 0580464008), inline IROC filter, mount them up in the frame by the tank, and you are good to go. If you have the $$, get a '90 and up tank as it has baffles in it, not really needed, as we used my original '79 tank. Gotta run new steel lines to the fuel rail (or close to it, then use GM high pressure hose for the last two feet), at least I recommend new line. Not spendy, just takes a bit of time. Put it in the drivers side frame rail (as there is nothing there now) instead of in the pass side mess.

Anyway, if you couldn't tell, I am a proponent of TPI. The only downside is the computer takes away the lope sound of my cam [​IMG] so it doesn't sound as rad as it is..........lol. GM parts all the way, reliability.............etc. I had one problem going to Sand Lake with mudhog, wire pinched by the nimrod that rebuilt my tranny, shut me down, but if you do the wiring correct (using brain) the reliability of the TPI system is wonderful.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>