Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"tuning up" a handheld?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by dubl_t, Mar 22, 2003.

1. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

\"tuning up\" a handheld?

I'm not vey "cb" literate, but I'm slowly learning. I believe a guy can use "export" mobile units to get more power, but can anything be done to handheld units?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: \"tuning up\" a handheld?

In my opinion, a handheld CB is useless unless your standing on the interstate overpass and talking to a vechile you're looking at. Even then they might not be able to hear you !!! Well, that's just my opinion. But a pair of them would probley be okay for the kids to use as walkie-talkies.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

All the handheld CB's that I've seen take 8 or 10 AA batteries and use them up pretty quickly. Any modification to get one to kick out more power would just kill the batteries even faster, assuming that the batteries can even supply enough current to support the additional output to begin with. Long distance communications are just a dream for most handheld CB's though. Even if you can get it to transmit a strong signal, the small antenna and cheap/poor receiver section prevent you from hearing other people. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have one that I usually take on 4-wheeling trips. It's an awesome way for a spotter to communicate with a driver instead of relying on shouting and frantic hand signals. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

my thoughts were to use cb's instead of frs/gmrs when camping, since there's a cb in the truck. I'll probably go with the gmrs though, for extended range. Now, what about bumping those up?

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Some GMRS/FRS handhelds can be tweaked a little for more output but not by much.

If you want it for around the campsite etc I'd say GMRS or even the newer MURS radios. FRS is pretty much useless in the woods unless you are really close. MURS is limited a little more on the most legal power you can have compared to GMRS. Given equal power levels for both a GMRS and a MURS radio the MURS radio will reach a little farther in a wooded environment. MURS is limited to 2 watts and is free to use just like cb or frs. GMRS has higher allowable power outputs but costs for a yearly license.

Also anything other than FRS can have a larger antenna than the stock little rubber duckie that comes with the handheld stock. You can add a better antenna to increased range.

If you're interested I can dig up some links to some MURS radios.

OR........ Get all your friends/family to become Amatuer operators and you don't have to be limited by power... you can use up to 1500 watts as a ham. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe a guy can use "export" mobile units to get more power

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are also "export" handhelds too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I believe a guy can use "export" mobile units to get more power

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are also "export" handhelds too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]for that matter, there are Linears... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

as for FRS being totaly useless in the woods, our scouttroop uses them to keep in contact with eachother, and we've had good luck with them at ranges up to about a mile. the only problem with them is everyone and thier dog has an FRS, which clogs the airwaves a bit.

-Rich