Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo 350 doubler

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 26, 2001.

Hey Steve,
    How is the turbo 350 doubler coming? I got a 203 for the automatic and a 205 from a manual.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We're looking at may or june for the 350 version. It'll probably be about $50 more to do the different splines on the shaft, but you won't have to bore the case to install the input gear.
    I really think most guys are still going to want the TH400 version. It's nice to know it's built as beefy as it can be.
    Remember, what version tranny you have has nothing to do with what version Doubler you use and what version 205 you use.......

Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

2. Stephen,
    Okay I'm confused. Can I use your current kit for the TH400 on my TH350?? As I understand it 400s' use a 32 spline shaft and 350's use 27 spline shaft. 4x4 th400s' are rarer than hen teeth in kansas which why I settled on a 350 that had a 203 attached. Now what do I do? Convert the "small" bearing 205 to a "large" bearing 205 and run it as attached to a 400?? My application is to install it in my 79 CJ7 running all chevy drivetrain (350 tpi, dana 44 front, 14 bolt FF rear). Tires should be 36 to 39.5.

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

you would put the doubler output shaft in your 203 with the doubler adapter plate.You would have too bore the 205 case for the t400 input and bearing then install it.

4. Stephen

You're on the right track, bolt the 203 to the TH350, then convert the 205 to 32 spline and bolt it to the Doubler kit. A 350 version kit would work with a 350 version (27 spline male input) 205. The 400 version kit works with the 32 spline female input 205. It's the version of 205 that's important, not the transmission.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

5. Okay first thanks for the info to steve and bigd. I think I've finally got it.
    New Question is : I've pulled the low range unit off the 203. Eveything came out okay but attached to the 203 chain case is a couple of small gears and 1 big gear from the low range unit. In the low range kit I have a shift fork with a large gear with internal splining on it. Do I need the small gears & large gear attached to the 203? If so how do I remove these guys?

6. Stephen

It sounds as if the low range gear is stuck in the chain sprocket. you should have the low range gear and the range box output shaft to go with the rangebox. The easy way to identify the entire unit is by the domed bearing retainer that's assembled on the shaft with it. It'll look like a frisby, and can be solid, or may look like a spoked wheel. Either way, you need it.
    to remove it, grab it and pull. There shouldn't be anything to hold it in there except bind on the parts. You may have to jockey the chain around to make it easier to remove.

Good luck!

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

7. True to your word and few well located smacks and a BFS (big friggin scewdriver) and it popped out. Of course Now I have remove the big snap ring and keep my fingers,eyes maybe some kevlar would help? Also have to put the roller bearings back on for the output shaft. I see you sell the 205 rebuild kit...what about one for the 203 low range?

8. Stephen

Got a kit for the range box, it's $120, and has all the fat needles (87) and the roller bearings and seals. Not much else you can do with them. The snaprings are pretty burly in there, invest in a decent pair of pliers, you'll be happy you did.
    Best thing to do is leave the shaft all assembled till you get the kit. That way all the parts stay together.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD