Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo 350 Type K case & Rebuild Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by epicrider, Jul 5, 2004.

1. epicrider

epicrider Newbie

I have a 77’ Blazer Chalet that I drive pretty hard and make several trips down to Baja every year. On my last trip down I cracked the transmission case above the torque converter. I took the truck into a tranny shop and the manager told me that I will need to get a new case, preferable a Type K case, the one with the reinforced and braced torque converter cover. He also told me that the Type K case trannies are hard to find. I was wondering if anybody else has had the same problem with Th350 cracking above the toque converter? If so, how did you remedy the problem and are there any retrofit torque converter covers or braces to adapt to a non Type K case??

Since I have to remove the tranny, I am going to have the tranny rebuilt. Any recommendations on how to rebuild a TH350 for heavy-duty use (ie, cluth packs, torque converter, etc). My Chalet when fully loaded pushes 8000 pounds. So I need it to hold up.

Thanks for your input,
    Dale

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i've cracked mine at the same spot going about 70...what a nice "bang" and smoke everywhere as the fluid hit the exhaust. Few years ago though. I just replaced with another regular trans and have not had any problems since, but then again, minimal driving.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dunno--my trucks that have had the TH350 werent the K style cases,and I have plowed and hauled all kinds of heavy loads,and none of mine ever broke.I think as long as you have the side frame rail mount on the transfer case and good mounts on the "foot"of the adaptor and good motor mounts you are good to go.I know some years had those rods that go from the bellhousing to the transfer case instead of the frame mount,and some had rods from the motor mount plates to the inspection cover--but the older trucks never had them,and they lived--I've also seen those rods torched off to allow lowering the t-case,and were never put back and the truck was still streetable--Jumping it offroad would be another story though!.My 82 K20 Diesel is missing the inspection cover(the cast aluminum one with the tapped holes for the rods,TH400),for now its just a tin cover,and the rods are hanging there doing squat--I hope it wont make my case crack! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I really dont know how some years of GM 4x4's didnt spit the T-case right on the ground,some I've seen only had the 4 bolts to the tranny tailshaft holding it in,and that big rod to the bellhousing(if someone didnt cut it off!)and they still held up!. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif