Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo 350 with a lock up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geno, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifHave a quesions: Put in a turbo 350 out of a 80 suburban, when I changed filter I noticed some wiring on the valve body, didn't think too much about it, there is a little blue plug on the drivers side of tranny. I put this in my 74 Jimmy, new TCI 2000 stall converter, ran it about 1,500 miles, was starting out from a stop sign shifting from 1st to 2nd.WHAM then nothing, could not move. Now my question, is this a lock up tranny? Do you need a special converter? What should I have done, don't have clue on what should have been hooked up here, Would the converter be shot or the tranny? Any input would be appreciated! Have since put in a different tranny, Didn't use new TCI converter, is there a way to have the converter tested? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It does sound like a lock up tranny.
    I don't think using a diffenent torque converter did the damage but I could be wrong.
    You can have the converter tested and cleaned out at a tranny shop.

3. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In late 80 and 81 there was a TH350C transmission, which had the lockup torque converter. It was most noticable by the front input shaft which has a shaft inside a shaft. They did require a specific torque converter, because the inside shaft also engaged the internal piece of the converter. Good Luck.