Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo 400 cases

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rockink5, Dec 27, 2002.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Feb 6, 2002
    Is there a difference in 400 cases between the 2wd version and the 4wd version? I know the inspection covers are different but is that it? Is the 4wd case stronger in the tail shaft area than the 2wd? I have a th400 4wd version that I got that has a broke case at the tail area. I also have a 2wd version that I was going to use the case from. Would I be better off having the 4wd case welded or just use the good case?

<font color="red"> SOOOOOO MANY QUESTIONS </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
  2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Jan 12, 2001

"K" cases are labeled "HD" on the housing. These are the 4wd version. They use 6 bolts to hold the dust cover on. 2wd versions use 4 screws to hold the thin steel or plastic cover on.
  3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Jan 7, 2002
    A great source for the HD cases in late model 2wd applications without an o/d option. I've got 3 cases from stuff like this, a couple from V6 Astro vans and 1 from a small motor home (an HD TH475 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ).

After a certain point (don't know the year) the TH400 was the only 3spd offered and by this time they were only built in HD cases. Look closely because they will have the cheesy covers on them but the have the undrilled booses for the thick cover and you will see a "K" or "HD" on top off the bellhousing.

As to the original question concerning the rear off the case being different, I have never noticed any difference in the cases.