Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo 400 filter HELP!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Smitty, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Finally got around to changing the fluid and filter in my turbo 400 and ran into what might be a problem. The filter is mounted to the valve body by a shouldered (approx 1/2" shoulder) bolt. The bolt goes through an oval hole in the filter. Checked the new filter and it has the same size hole. The filter just swings around on the bolt and the pickup tube. Is this normal? The book doesn't say one way or the other. Someone help me out so I can put the pan back on before it gets dark!

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just finished cleaning out the pan and it looks like the filter has just been laying on the bottom. Looks like I'll put it back together this way since I haven't been having any problems. If anyone has info on if the movement in the filter is normal let me know.

3. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Been there, I know it seems hoaky but you do have the right set up with the shouldered bolt. Mine was like that where it would almost want to flop of if you hit a good chuck hole but that is the way they came. According to a reman book the deep pan was designed for better oil pick-up on trails than a car 400 small pan, but it holds together.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Put it back together and it works fine. I do think the design could be a lot better. I might be checking with you for info on your 82 since I'm finding a lot of things have been "improved" on mine.