Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo 400 fun

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Aug 11, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I'm playing with the tailshaft thing on my 2WD TH400, putting on a driveshaft parking brake, and trying to fix an unidentifiable leak "back there somewhere."

In the "extension housing", as the Timken book calls it, there is a brass or copper looking bushing sleeve built into the aluminum housing, and it has two fairly gnarly ... almost scratches ... in it. They're not spiral, though, they're mirror images of each other ... like maybe heat expansion joints, so that the copper or whatever doesn't over-expand and break free of the aluminum?

Anyway, first question is, are those 1/8" wide or so gaps SUPPOSED to be in the sleeve?

Second, is the use of gasket-goo. There's a paper gasket between the aluminum tailshaft/extension housing and the main tranny body ... but it's kinda old, and I can't find a new one in this half of the state. Should I, therefore, just put it back together and call it good ... or maybe put a thin coat of ultragray on it? I am leery of RTV-ish stuff anywhere NEAR trannies, but in this case it might be good.

Finally, how about the pan gasket? It's cork... should I put gasket goo on it, or not?

Thanks all for your input, except for those of you who tell me to put in an NV5600, who will be politely ignored. I've changed enough on this truck, and dangit, I gotta get it running in time for it to drag my K5 to Blazer Bash =))

-- A

2. dremu

Damn, I've confused even myself ... pix of the gaps in the tail housing:

-- A

P8110001.JPG

P8110002.JPG

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

the grooves are normal, they're for oiling. I would look at the extension housing gasket and also maybe the speedo fitting and such.

As for goo, I'd go with a plain paper gasket on the back and the pan. Be careful of the pan, the cork will break if overtightened. I'd look hard for a new ext housing gasket.

4. dremu

Sweet, thanks. I *really* didn't want to have to replace the housing :)

Worst case I can order the gasket online, but I betcha the shipping will be more than the 69c item cost =))

I've been looking at the speedo fitting, but I am mostly suspicious of the yoke seal. Hard to tell as the tranny mount is fubar after lo these many aeons, so cleaning is in order for leak tracing.

Thanks -- once again, CK5 is a tremendous resource :)

-- A

5. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Allways...replace the bushing when you replace the extension housing seal...and make sure you give the seal lip housing a coating of grease for break in or you'll be doing it again....should i mention the wifes 90 V2500 burb with a 241 and the learning curve? The 2 grooves channel the oil back to the rear and the small hole in the casting is so the oil drains back to the case...

The last trans pan i did was my 350 in the 79...fel pro makes a cork rubber highbred...works a lot better....and buy the proper twrench even if it means you have to buy one with a inch scale to get the bolts right.

DW