Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo 400 problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bassin4507, Oct 23, 2004.

1. bassin4507

bassin4507 Registered Member

My turbo 400 won't downshift, when I floor it. The only way I can get it to downshift is to manually do it. I know there is a vacuum line going from the carb. to the transmission, is this what makes it downshift? Or is there supposed to be a cable ?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The downshift signal on a Turbo 400 is electrical. There should be a switch on the gas pedal bracket that turns on when you floor it. That sends 12 volts to the connector on the drivers side of the tranny and engages kickdown mode.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

where is it at on the gas pedal bracket? Mine downshifts sometimes and sometimes it dont, Im thinkin maybe the switch mount has come loose, or broken, so it only engages sometimes.

4. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

inside truck should be the only switch on the gas pedal.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I mean is it at the top of the arm or down nearer where it bolts to the firewall, cause I hadnt seen a switch down there that I remember

6. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

it's closer to the top. above where it mounts to firewall with the three bolts. a chiltons manual will have the correct adjustment procedure. it's easy! my truck was an original 4 speed so i didn't have the switch parts so i used a lokar performance kickdown cable kit. it mounts to carb linkage via a cable. not as good as a factory setup but it works.