Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jun 13, 2002.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Need some help. When the engine is old and I hit the brakes like I normally do, it goes into a nose dive and comes screaming to a hault. Like there are no rear brakes and the front braking power has doubled. As the engine warms up, it gradually fades away,and completely disappears when at operating temp. Anything I could check before I hit my head on the windshield? I'm trying to save my pennies and would like to avoid paying someone to fix it. Thanks.

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Sounds like you may have too much vacuum going to the power booster, when the choke is engaged. Did you changed any vacuum line routings or adjusted the carb before this started?

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Never heard of anything like this. I wouldn't mind if my truck had that braking power all the time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like brake fade. When the vehicle is cold, so is the brake fluid so it compresses and flows normally. Plus, all brake parts are cold so the frition coefficient will be high(ie-lots of brake power). As the fluid warms up, it expands, pushing back up through the master cyl, wanting to compress less. Plus, the brake parts have warmed up. Unlike race cars that have $$$$$$$$ brake systems, as the pads and metal rotors heat up, the coefficient of friction lessens which is why they are so smooth when the vehicle is warm. I've had cars like this and my truck now is like this. Not so bad as yours, but there is a difference between cold and hot. You can start by making sure all brake likes are shielded from heat sources like headers, exhaust pipes, etc. Reroute them if you have to. Then, have all the brakes checked for excess drag. If they are dragging the rotors, excess heat will build up causing them to fade too much. But, if the truck stops on a dime warm and half a nickel cold, then sounds about normal to me. I wouldn't worry about it.