Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turbo charger for a SBC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Sep 9, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

anyone know what the benefits of a Turbo Chargre are? And where i can get one for my 350? And how hard it would be to set it up?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

benifits: hi end HP and you will sound like a hairdyer

Where: Turbo City.com

How hard: to tune it right and get it so you can 'wheel effectivly in it? very hard, IMHO.

Superchargers are a better route to go for us. unless all you do is mud drags.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

There was a thread on this subject a few months ago so if you do a search you should find it. Since your question is on turbos, I will try to stick with that. I don't agree with 4xs & turbos but i digress. When turboing a carb. equipt. motor it is a bit harder to tune the correct air fuel mixture. It also depends on wether you put the turbo before or after the carb. Look up that other thread (I don't remeber the content of it) Than ask the questions you need. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif K

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

5. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

turbos lag which means power at the top end and nothing at the bottom. For off-roading you need more low end power so a supercharger which gives you more power all over the rpm range would be a better bet. A carburated turbo would be way hard to tune if you do turbo you would be better off going to Fuel injection.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Actually turbos have come a lonnnnng way. There are turbos that have almost no lag, I have to admit they are not inexpensive /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif but they do exsist. The FI issue however I do agree with. You can get around it with a carb. but it isn't ideal for 4bys.

7. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

yeah thats true it also depends on the size of the turbo. THe only turbo cars i have ever driven was a 2002 996 porsche which are big turbos meant for top end power which means no low end at all. the turbo in that didnt kick in till about 3500-4000 but once it did holy crap it kicked in. so if you put a smaller turbo in it would work but not really worth it in my opinion.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so having 10# boost by 1300 rpm wouldnt work for you?
    I found a guy online with a 2wdr chev truck and a junkyard twin turbo setup and that is what his set up is at.
    a carb doesnt work for 4x4ing with or without a turbo, but would anyone like to see a 306ci carbed ford putting 600 to the ground with a homebrewed blow thru setup?
    the turbos are much cheaper then a blower if you make your own manifolds
    the ford mustang guys seem to start with shorty headers run backward
    kinda neat this comes up again as I just spent the weekend drooling over a bunch of sites with mpegs
    I am sold on the idea, 500+hp all in before 5000rpm and streetable

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

YA m j, I wanna see!!!!! Where are the pictures!!!That sounds sweet /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    The junkyard setup would work for some, but you need to know what it is that your looking for, and what you will have to make to get it to work. I think the best turbo setups on domestics are the custom ones.
    Soooo bring on the pictures /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OOOOOHHHHHHH MAMA! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif That was very cool, thank you! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

NP

I have grabbed a few mpegs from all over the net but of course no idea where on the ones I forget to add to my favs

I still say 700ft#s @ 3800 rpm isnt 'highend' or 'topend'

didya check this guys stainless welding http://veccohpec.com/Twin_Nut_Case.html