Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo City TBI intake mods and a chip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 23, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I am looking at some performance mods for the new truck I am hopefully getting the end of the week. I am thinking, TBI Spacer, Injector Spacer, and the cone for the bottom of the intake from Turbo City. Anyone run these? Anyone run these with a Jet Performance(or other) Chip? I was thinking either a Jet Chip or the unit that Turbo City sells that has the 3 selectable settings. performance, stock, economy. I like that setup I think. My friend runs the turbo city setup (not the chip thing) and says its nice but he needs the fuel pump upgrade.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have these mods from turbocity on my K5
    Air flow enhancer: (velocity stack) Every TBI should have one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The POS stock spacer is very restrictive.

Injector spacer; adds more air flow.

Throttle body spacer; turbocitys does work. Its an open style which gives a little more plentiun area to the manifold and adds a little on the midrange and top end. I have the 1/2" spacer combined with the injector spacer it works great. Plus there is not all the TV cable problems that can pop up with some of the other 1" spacers on the market.
    You might have to let out the TV cable a click after installling the spacer if the shifts dont feel right.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator: this helps dial everything in if you have done all the other mods and have headers and good intake. it will take the flat spots out of your acceleration.

3 position map sensor: It does help with the fuel mileage maby adds 1 mpg in the economy setting. I get 18-20 MPG on the freeway
    In the power setting it seems to really come on at mid to high RPM. doesn't help much off the line. Definatly an improvement over stock. I usually use economy setting off road( unless i want to show off) to get better fuel milage.

I have used Turbocitys stuff on quite a few engines and have been satisfied with the results. They also have chips that will run with their mods priced around the same as other guys.

If you do these mods you should up grade your ignition.
    I recomend an 8 pin dyana mod and screamin deamon coil from
    performancedistributors.com
    This will allow you to rev to 5 grand and beyond
    In my opinion these work better on TBI than MSD stuff.

Do these mods along with headers and good exhaust on your TBI truck and I guarentee you and everyone else will be impressed.

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't spend any money on a chip unless you build a different motor and need a custom PROM burned. The TBI mods will work well, but don't overlook headers and exhaust. A smaller diameter crank pulley will add a bit of power at higher RPM as well.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I want to do headers but I looked under that hood and wow I just don't want to touch that. I was just planning on replacing the cat with a single hollow 3" cat into a 3" in dual 2.5" our flowmaster 40. Crank pully may come later, for now I am thinking remove the engine driven fan and run electric fan(s). Thinking like one 16" or something and a smaller one mounted directly to a tranny cooler.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Do you guys have a link to Turbo City? I tried it directly and through Google but it's like the page is down or nonexistant.

Thanks!

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the page is down its just www.turbocity.com the page has been screwed up for a while I guess they are getting their act together and fixing it. None of the pictures on the site were working and the page was doubled up with the working part being at the very bottom. It was very annoying. Hopefully its back in a few days cause I want my stuff!

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the 1/2" spacer combined with the injector spacer it works great. Plus there is not all the TV cable problems that can pop up with some of the other 1" spacers on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have any problems with hooking up the fuel lines after the spacer?

Thanks

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i have the injector spacer, TB spacer and airflow enhancer (stack) on mine....they were on there when i boought the truck, never had any problems with them though, Turbo City seems like a pretty good company...the fuel lines will just need to be bent a little bit to reach the relocated TB.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd forget about the electric fan unless you want to do it "just because". The gains to be had from changing from a clutch fan to mechanical haven't been documented that I've seen, but theoretically, unless the engine is over 195*, it shouldn't be drawing any power, or VERY little.

Electric fans are touchy, and its a lot easier and more common to think you are getting a big enough fan, and you actually don't, than getting one thats too big. Size has nothing to do with the rating, it's CFM.

The generic chips are *worthless* as all they do is advance the timing in certain RPM ranges, (as does Hypertech for instance) which means you end up running higher grade fuel. Timing advance alone, above stock ranges, isn't going to give you enough power to make it worthwhile to be paying $.20/gallon more or whatever it is in your area between 87 and 91 octane.

10. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

tell you one thing i just did to my 93 chevy tbi, i installed a 160 thermostat!! woke it up quite a bit. also installed an open element air cleaner, that thing makes a sweet sound under the hood, sounds almost like its going to suck the hood in!!! i also have a sent of under drive pulleys on it, i am looking into headers and looking into getting a 454 t.b. to modify and put on a different intake /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thinking 180 thermostat(since it does get quite chilly here), the whole turbo city thing, open element intake and the exhaust I mentioned before.