Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo+cooler

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4_76, Aug 10, 2001.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

My brother has pick-up and Suburban,both w/6.2,and I'm looking for K5 also w/6.2.We've been considering to get turbo for one of our rigs.Banks kit would be nice,but expensive,so we came to idea to get only the exhaust manifold from 6.5 and turbo custom made.All the other things,brackets,pipes etc.,we can make ourselves.How about intecooler?I read from the 4WOR that w/Banks kit the max. boost pressure is 10 psi,and exhaust gas temperature 1100F,if I remember correctly.So,if I add cooler,it will decrease air temperature in intake,therefore you can raise the amount of fuel to the cylinders.Can I crank up the injection more than 1/4 of a turn what Banks kit needs?Will the stock injectors be fine with this?And can the engine take the added power increase from the cooler?

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

2. Arizona_Mike

Arizona_Mike Registered Member

Find a way to do a cooler for less then $500. and I will like to see it. The current cost is $1400. and thats bull crap for that price, Hell, it better be polished and installed for that price.

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

$1400 for a cooler!That's a damn robbery!!I can get cooler for less than $300,custom made.Turbo goes something like $1100.Banks kit is,if I remeber correct,$2000.If I buy that,with s+h,customs,taxes,it's gonna cost over $3100.Building half the stuff by myself,total cost is about $1600-$1700.Oh yeah,and that turbo has wastegate,too

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 4x4_76 on 08/13/01 05:13 AM.</FONT></P>

4. Arizona_Mike

Arizona_Mike Registered Member

Great, tell me where I can get the intercooler made for $300. If we could come up with a kit to sell I know that the price could come in for the at $650. and people would love to get them at that price. Some people just have to much money and need a place to spend it. Might as well help them.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

My friend had cooler on his car for about $300.It went to 2 liter engine.Maybe cooler for 6.2 costs same,not sure.Place is called Amworks,and it's in Finland.Don't know do they have website.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

6. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

What ever turbo you put on it, if the Boost doesnt get above 10psi then the intercooler wont effect it much. The air doesnt get hot enough. Only when it gets above 10 is where it helps. Another thing you could do is go to a banks dealer and try and get a Used intercooler from a Ford Powerstroke. They Replace some with a Banks. Either way I think the Banks kit would be the best Route. Pay the 2000 and Get it.