Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo Heeps?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5james, May 31, 2005.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Anybody know anything about Turbocharged Heeps? Secifically of the 6 cylinder Wrangler variety? It seems after 1 or 2 or 14 beers this weekend I've managed to "talk" myself into a drag race in the dunes this winter. After sobering up and doing a little research I'm starting to realize I might have bit off a little more than my Blazer can chew.

I believe these guys are running t-3/t-4 Turbonetics turbos, some are stock 4.0L's and some are stroked 4.6L's, all through the Jeep auto trans(torque flex 999 I believe). I also think when they race they use 31" paddles.

By winter time I should have my new engine 383/406(around 450/450 HP/TQ) and 9" rear end. If I take the doors/tailgate/top/back seat off and run some paddles on the rear do I stand a chance?

What do you guys think?

2. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I definitely think so. Even with a turbo I doubt they would be running that much hp. I'm just guessing of course but wouldn't seem like it.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If your truck cant keep up you can always throw a little squeeze into it. Thats what I plan on doing with mine. Should be putting down about 400hp at the crank with the 6.0, and with a 150 shot of squeeze I will be putting down some nice numbers and will be able to give some buggies a run for their money in the dunes.

4. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I may have to go with a 100 shot just to make sure. If I get beat the first time I'll just choose a more beat up stretch of sand to race on and hopefully I'll be able to use the suspension advantage against them. I wonder how much HP they're putting out with that turbo? Also, does anyone happen to know what Heeps weigh in at?

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i would venture to say that if they are running a turboed 4.6L they are going to have a glass tub... just a thought. call it 3 to 5k in weight. depending on the cash flow they have. i would also say that you are gonna need a bit more power than you are thinking on having.... those lil buggers are QUICK!!
    Grant

6. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Suprisingly, these guys are running stock bodied TJ's. As far as I know(which isn't very far) other than the engine related parts these are stock TJ's.

After checking around a few websites, I'm thinking this is what I'm up against, roughly. A 4.6 is rated at roughly 260/290 HP/TQ and then with a turbo on top of that you could figure another 100/100 HP/TQ. That would be roughly 360/390 give or take.

I might be able to run with them.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

running for fun or $?

8. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Bragging rights at the moment but I have a feeling as winter gets closer, and each camp trades smack talk, some money might be thrown on the table.