Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turbo instalation

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by domator, Jul 1, 2002.

1. domator

domator Registered Member

I've just bought a used turbo kit with Rotomaster turbine for my 6.2 engine [you can see pictures here:
    http://www.file.com.pl/turbo/roto_01.JPG
    http://www.file.com.pl/turbo/roto_02.JPG
    http://www.file.com.pl/turbo/roto_03.JPG ].
    I also have got exhaust manifold, a filter, some pipes and other accessories. I'd like to install the kit, but i don't have a manual or even certinty the kit is complete. Therefore I have a few questions:

1. How to solve the issue of the crankcase-vent duct?

2. The new exhaust on the passenger side I have, has a exhaust-gas temperature sensor (EGT), but unfortunately I don't have any gauge/indicator. Can I buy it someplace? Where?

3. A more theoretical question: The turbo is "non-wastegated". What happens when the pressure/boost is "too high"? Doesn't this have any adverse influence on the engine performance and durability?

4. where can I buy a turbine pressure/boost sensor and gauge ? where can I install a sensor?

5. Is the Rotomaster a good turbine? What power increase can I expect? Under what name/make were these kits sold? Was it Banks?

6. What about injection pump tuning? Should I do anything with it to increase fuel efficiency?

7. Should I know anything more to install this turbo?

Piotr

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Good find with the kit.
    The crankcase vent CDRV needs to be plumbed into the intake side of the compressor.
    Exhaust pyrometers are available, even Autometer has them.
    No problem running a "floating" (non-waste gated) turbo. Most big diesel run this way. They only tradeoff is the lack of low-RPM boost.
    Boost gauges are available everywhere, you can skip the models that include vacume.
    Rotomaster was a big name in turbos. If you post some pictures of the manifold/pipes someone might be able to ID it. Keep the Air and oil clean and you'll have no problems.
    I "think" around 50-60 rear wheel HP was the norm with these type of kits.
    Injection deliver can be increased, get the pyrometer installed FIRST.

I have an ATS kit, but it's under my workbench right now. It's on my "to-do" list.
    Turbos last a long time IF they're treated right. Air filteration is vital. As is clean oil. Also allow the turbo to spin down before a stop and cool down after a long-hard run. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Good advice given already.

See my post on the dieselpage.com for more.

Casey