Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo size ? for a crawler motor

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tarussell, Feb 19, 2006.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am in need of schooling on housing size and when it is too small for a motor.
    My application is a 6BT that came with a 16cm housing and I want to go as small as I can without crossing the safety/durrability line for the motor.
    This motor is going in my Blazer as a crawler motor so I do not need to worry about on the road situations like pulling grades or sustained high RPM's .
    I just want to make this engine pull as hard as I can at very low RPM's and from what I have found the smaller the housing the more low speed driveability it will have due to the boost coming on stronger at a lower RPM.
    My question is what is too small and can I use a 12cm housing safely with a 6BT motor???

I am hoping that the proper size housing for my application along with injector pump adjustments this motor will pull extremely hard at idle and real low RPM's .

Please help with any info possible .
    Thanks , Tom

2. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

turbo

Yes you can use a 12 cm with no problems,the smaller the cm the faster it will spool up and less lag it will have.
    12 cm came on 12v ,just have to look for them..

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info !
    Tom
    P.S. I am digging up more info before I PM you back on your mounts - I'll be in touch.