Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbo Wastegate Question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Dirty Dave, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I hate for my first post to be a question but I am at a loss for an answer. I am in the process gatering the parts for a 6.5 turbo install on my 6.2. The only question I have not been able to find an answer for stems from the Haynes Diesel Repair manual. It says the turbo wastegate is controlled by the computer. How will this effect the performance and longevity of the turbo on a 85 6.2?
    I have searched the board and not found any info on this aspect of the conversion.

Thanks

It's just mud how deep can it be?

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I may be wrong on this but I will try . The wastegate is a release for the turbo so it doesn't provide to much boost for the engine . Otherwise if the turbo keeps going it could cause the engine to run to fast and ruin the engine . Not sure about the hurting the engine part , but do know it could make the engine develop to much power !! Hope that helps ??

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

This is where the difference between Diesels (compression ignition) and Gas (spark ignition) engines shows. Gas engines burn a fuel mixture some where around 14:1 (yes, I know varies alot in operation) with richer mixtures being "safe" and lean mixtures dangerously close to burning pistons, etc. Diesels are controlled only be the amount of fuel with air part unregulated (don't bring up the odd ball Mercedes or other). The fuel mixture is always "lean". When the (unregulated) mixture becomes too "rich" (known as overfueling) exhaust temperatures run way too high and the engine is in danger of serious damage. Overfueling is obvious with heavy black smoke on acceleration or (better) by monitoring the exhaust temp with a guage and probe.

Now back to your question. The turbo does need to be regulated with a waste gate. Because it was sized with a wastegate, as opposed to "free floating", excessive exhaust backpressure will develope and cylinder pressure "could" rise high enough to blow a head gasket. The electronically controlled waste gate could be replaced be a mechanical one that senses boost pressure. Check with the aftermarket Turbo suppliers like TurboCity. You might also be able to control the boost pressure electronically (with the factor waste gate) with a boost pressure switch or maybe a controller like the GReddy unit; I'm not sure on this though, not much experience with the late model 6.5Ts really.

You do know the 6.5 turbo exhaust manifolds don't fit the 6.2 heads with "modifications", right?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

A turbo from a 6.5 will fit the 6.2? I thought the manifolds are different?
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The 6.5 manifolds wont clear the injectors on a 6.2 head. I've heard of guy making spacers to adapt the manifolds. I'm not sure, but I think also replacing the injectors with the short style (van or Hummer/HMMWV) will also work. Of coarse you could just swap the whole head...

6. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

You can use a mechanical wastegate controler from a 93 6.5TD. No computer controls needed. I belive in 93 the 6.5 had a gm2 turbo, but the mechanical waste gate will work all the way up to the gm8. If you use the gm4 or 8 turbo you will also need to play with waste gate springs. You will also have problems with injector clearance if you use the 6.2 heads. I would recomond using the 6.5 heads, injectors, and injector lines. This will eliminate the injector fit issue and the 6.5 heads and injectors will give you HP. You will also run in to a fit issue with the turbo and evaporator housing. most have to remove the evaporator. It can be done.

(first post)

7. Dirty Dave

Thanks to all. A friend at the local big rig shop who is a Detroit mechanic just brought me the answer this morning i.e use 93 parts. I already have the 6.5 heads and injectors. Now to find the turbo parts I need. I missed my best deal so now back to square two!

Dave

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Good call Carol. I forgot all agout the '93. Someone told me about that being mechanical some time ago. I believe a similiar setup is what is used on the XM1037 the Heavy Humvee variant. Only saw one once, up from Natick Labs.

9. carolina custom

Dave,
    I just read your bio and saw it was a cucv. Gues the evaporator wont be an issue. Gues the 93 was a good call. There are aftermarket 93 style controlers that are adjustable for boost control. You will have a nice set up with new headgaskets, 6.5 heads and injectors. I cant remember if you have 6.5 injector lines? How bout a 6.5 db2 pump? :)

I got to get a CUCV!

10. Dirty Dave

carolina custom, I am going to have my extra 6.2 core rebuilt a little hot. I have 93 heads polished and port matched to my intake, 93 injectors and lines.

DieselDan, I saw some turboed up armored Hummers
    the 3/4 Cav had while I was in Bosnia. That was back in 96. Are they the 1037 style to which you refer?

I have always had a soft spot for CUCV's. I got mine from the local Sheriffs Office with a sealed bid of 400.00. An 85 with 120,000 original miles. Anybody seen the new CUCV's?

This is my favorite style
    http://www.gmmilitary.com/CEMMV 4x4.htm

Now does anyone know where I can find some used turbo parts?

Dave

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey DDave, Ya those up armored HMMWVs are the ones. The one I got a chance to check came from Natick Labs. The turbo set up was like a van, rear mounted blower, split intake manifold. I've got a soft spot CUCVs too. I'm still sitting on seven in our Motor Pool: six (low milage) Contact Trucks and my "cadillac" pick-up.

You're a luck SOB. I search all over trying to find a decent deal on a M1009, but they were all over priced or just a (overpriced) shell. Went nuts for a year dealing with the assholes at DRMO. Oh well.

No I hadn't seen that GM sight before, pretty neat stuff. I really like that 6x6. The Army should have got that instead wasting time with the FMTV. I had seen the CUCV II's before, the USAF had them but come-on: gas engine, AC, electric windows? This latest still misses with no diesel option in the Command Vehicles.

12. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

13. carolina custom

Dave,
    I would try Jamie Avant at Diesel Depot for used or rebult 6.2-6.5 parts. Great guys and good prices. All they do is re-man6.2-6.5s and sell new and used parts. They are in Georgia but will ship.I cant remember # but I belive they have a web site. I will find there number and post it.

Do you have a 6.5 intake and plenum, or you using your 6.2 and fab. an airbox and ducting?

Marc

14. carolina custom

Diesel Depot's # is 800-553-8192.

15. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I saw diesel depot avertised on the diesel page and I think they took it off, and I couldnt remember the name. Thanks they have great prices on engines and I might need one soon.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Why I don't for a moment doubt there are (were) 6.5s available in the CUCV II. The Blazer (M1009?) CUCV II that I saw, touched, and heard was a gasser! Remeber, it was a USAF rig; that may explain the AC and electric windows also LOL.

PS. couldn't get to that second link