Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turbo

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jan 31, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey i have a 6.5L and am lookin for a turbo, does anybody know how much a new one would cost? and how would i install it??

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You would need to get a complete system, most likely one from Banks. A new Banks setup runs around $1800. They're the only company still making a turbo setups for our trucks. You would need to get the 6.2L Sidewinder setup. You can sometimes find complete systems on Ebay, which usually sell for $500 to $700.

A turbo system includes the turbocharger, a passenger side exhaust manifold to bolt the turbo to, a cross-over pipe to connect the two manifolds together, an air cleaner assembly, a pressure chamber which bolts to the intake manifold, an exhaust downpipe, usually a complete exhaust system, oil feed and return lines, and typically includes an EGT guage to monitor exhaust temps.

You could also get a factory GM 6.5L turbo setup, but this is harder to do. You would have to get all the parts from a dealer or scrap yard, or an individual who has done that already and wants to sell his system. Also, this system won't bolt in to the older body-style trucks, because the turbo will hit the a/c evaporator housing. If you don't have a/c, then this isn't a problem. Otherwise, you'll have to figure something out.

I have a turbo setup that I'm going to be installing on my '81 this summer. I bought a turbocharger from an individual, an exhaust manifold from Banks, had an adapter made to bolt the turbo to the manifold, had a downpipe made for the exhaust....I still need to make a cross-over pipe, and get some sort of air cleaner assembly. I have a 4" muffler from KD that will round out the exhaust system. When I'm done, it will go from 3", to 3.5", to 4", and probably finish up with a 5" tip. I'll have around $500 invested in it when I'm done.

Casey

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

arveetek /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif he already HAS a 6.5L I think your post made it sound like he was looking for a 6.2L turber.

Actually I think getting a turbo for a 6.5L is easy. Check Junk Yards etc. they should have plenty of parts you can pick off.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, but it's mounted in an old body style truck....which means a 6.5L turbo won't fit without major modifications. The only differences between a 6.2L and a 6.5L are internal...so it doesn't matter if he has a 6.2L or 6.5L, it's the style of truck it's in that makes a difference. I suggested a Banks Sidewinder for a 6.2L because of ease of installation and fit. There are several 6.5L trucks that I know of using a Banks Sidewinder with good results.

If he had an '88 or newer body style truck, then the 6.5L would probably be the way to go.

Casey

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of my turbo mounted on the Banks manifold on my spare 6.2L. This will give you an idea of what a turbo looks like on our diesels. This is just the turbocharger, no intake or exhaust pipes or oil feed lines attached yet.

Here are a couple more pics:

pic 1

pic 2

Casey