Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turbocharging My 79 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fordfmly, Aug 5, 2000.

1. fordfmly

fordfmly Newbie

Anyone who has done this or knows where I might be able to get some good information on this I would appriciate the help thanks alot and keep on BLAZIN!

2. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

dont think ive ever heard of anyone turboing a v-8. usually done to the 4's and 6's. i would think if you were willing to go to that expense, a blower would offer more. just my thoughts, i could be wrong.

EODBRIAN

3. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

or say a supercharger if you decided to run efi.

EODBRIAN

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i would go with a small supercharger/blower..same thing.
    they have some nice small ones that will actually fit under the hoods of trucks.
    no turbo lag. power is always there on tap. the compression of the engine stays low, and if you get the pulley ratios correct your engine (and charger) will last a very long time.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Don't even bother with the turbo. A turbo uses the spent exhaust from your engine to spin a "fan" the other end of the fan has a compressor blade which is like another fan which blows air into the intake. The problem with a turbo on a blazer you have to rev the engine so high to get good boost. A supercharger is driven off the engine so it spins relative to the crank rpms. Also there is no "turbo lag" with a super charger. Turbo lag is described as the time it takes to go from no boost to full boost. If you've ever ridden a 2 stroke motor cycle it feels like a mild power band. Also compression ratio's need to be lowered and this means you have less low end torque and power (not really what you need). One more thing is if you have emissions tests forget it there are NO emissions legal turbo kits for a 79 blazer I assure you. I'd get a roots style blower like a 6-71 they make 6-9psi at the intake. Plenty of power descent reliability and doesn't really ask a whole lot from the engine. Also no custom fabrication work and no intercoolers.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Dump the turbo idea, and probably the blower idea as well. I imagin your Blazer is set up for the trails right? Then what you need is low end torque. Have your 350 rebuilt and choose a cam that is designed for producing low end torque (I recommend Crower, they're real pros, and my uncle works there). The problem with turbos and blowers (besides being over priced) is that they both require high RPMS for them to kick in. And when you're going over ruff terrain, you're "crawling" over it. IF you really needed the horsepower for let's say mudd-bogging, then I would recommend the blower. IF you just want to go fast, get a Camaro! Good luck,

7. Hey talldog,hate correct you but you dont need a bunch of rpm for either application to work.You can run a very small
    turbo and the lug wont even be noticable,have gobs of low
    end power.The blower is the beter choice for me because you can fine tune the boost with pulleies,a blower starts making
    boost off idle and is at full boost by 3500 or lower properly set up.Cams are also a gould adition to make more power,if you have ever driven a truck with boost you'ld never feel the same!!!
    Plus you get stock or beter gas mileadge with boost on a stock motor.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

8. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

A small turbo aye? Since we're dealing with a V8 I imagine you'd set it up with a turbo on each bank of cylinders, right. After all you do want equal back pressure, don't you. So you could have two small turbo's, one for each exhaust manifold. How CHEAP would this be? I didn't think so. Since we already have a V8, why not take advantage of it and build it according to the current needs. If you were putting together a Buick Grand National, well okay, but we're dealing with a Blazer with a good old fashion cast iron V8. Turbos are a good choice if you're trying to squeeze power out of a smaller engine, and IF you can afford it. Remember you don't just buy a turbo and tape it to the side of the block, you also need all the appropriate manifolds, relief valves, oil lines, and possibly an intercooler, if you want to do it right.
    I agree the blower would be a better choice. But once again, you're looking at at least a couple thousand dollars. And depending on the current compression ratio, it might end up greatly reducing the life span of the engine. Thus, making it even more expensive in the long run.
    Like they say, "there's no replacement for displacement".

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you were running a single turbo it would be best to run it off of both exhaust manifolds for equal bask pressure.
    Although running twin turbos would be pretty cool, but a lot of work, tuning and headaches.

For an offroad application I would think the Blower/supercharger would be best since it adds power from idle up through the rpms as others have said.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. You dont have to worry about equal pressure on both sides of the motor,the motor will probably stay under 5500 rpm's
    rifgt?If you look at most factory turbo cars they run one turbo on one side of motor,if reliability was a problem they
    never would have doon it.You can buy a whole turbo system
    under $1400 bucks!
    As for the supercharger,a B&M is $1250 for a smallblock.A Quadrajet will bolt right on it!
    Now for reliability if you match the boost to your compression ratio there wont be that much diferance.Like you said your not building a drag car,you only need 5 to 7
    pounds of boost.As for the displacement,you get a stock small block that mikes the power of a mild bigblock,and the
    gas mileadge of a stock small block.Its the best of both worlds.There all viable options if you do your home work.
    By the way,I'm not trying to be a d!!k.I've just had a lot of experience with these systems.But it all realy comes down to the money you have to spend and what you want.
    A blown small block will save you enough on gas in a couple of years to pay for its self,maybe sooner if you drive alot!
    By the way were all friends here with our own ideas,these are just mine based on a lot of learning.
    Happy trails all

11. To bad I didnt learn to type or spell after all of this!!LOL

12. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. I agree with your points. My concern was on providing all the factors that are invovled. Some people don't really know what it entails to set up a turbo or blower. They hear the word and they think it's easy just becuase they are pretty common.

13. The best thing to do when cosidering this is to talk to someone that knows what parts you need for what you've got
    or planing to do_One of the best kits for the money is the
    B&M.They have a chart of the pulley sizes you need for your motors dissplacement and compression ratio to get the desired boost.I would'nt run anything over 7 pounds of boost on a stock motor with 8.5:1.On a 9.5:1 motor 5.5 pounds,anything over 10:1 I would'nt do without a timing retard sytem that retards timing with the boost.But most stock motors are under 9:1 anyway.
    If you look at what it takes money wise to make good power,stroker kit decent set of heads and the intake.It comes out about the same money wise,you just get a little more power and sreetability out of a small supercharger.

14. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I have to respond to this. I cannot guess what the 79 is to be used for, so nobody can just say what to use. If you are a mud-dragger only, get a big roots. If you are a rock crawler exclusively, get the tallest gears in everything you possibly can, not a turbo/super/roots/NOS/etc.

A properly designed turbo system will have minimal lag. A turbo is more efficient than a roots. It is a "compressor"
    A centrifugal supercharger is very similar to a turbo, but belt driven, and efficiency is almost the same as a turbo. It is also a "compressor"
    A roots type supercharger is much less efficient than the above two. It is not a compressor, it blows air, similar in concept to a ceiling fan.

Good reading on turbocharging includes "Maximum Boost" and another that i can't recall. Look them up on amazon.com.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash