Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turboin' a 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 25, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

turboin\' a 6.2

Done some research and got a good friend willing to fork up the near 2,000 for a banks turbo for his truck, I'm a well experienced mechanic but never done a turbo add on....any advice on what I am looking at and if this is an attemptable project for a shadetree mechanic.

What other options am I looking at for good pepup on a 6.2, I've seen recent post on fuel pumps and injectors....comments?

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Re: turboin\' a 6.2

Have to ask a few questions first; what year motor, how many miles? I would do a compression check befoer spending any money on a turbo kit, to make sure the engine is up to the task. Banks kits have dropped alot from what i've seen on ebay. a new banks kit with exhaust just sold for under $800. The banks kit shouldnt be to hard for you to install between the both of you it should only take a weekend, I havent done one but i have the intallation instructions for one and it looks pretty damn easy. If i had to do it over i would have bought a Banks kit.

3. BowtieBlazer

87 6.2 45,000 original miles, very unfamiliar with a 6.2 what kind of compression is acceptable

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

If its an '87 it should have a 2 piece rear main seal, which is a bonus. Compression should be checked and there should be no more than a 20% difference between the highest and lowest cylinder. I would venture to say as long as it has been well maintained it should be good to go. Is this an old military truck by chance? 47K seems low for a truck of that age. If it was me i would go ahead and replace the head gaskets with the new felpro gaskets just for piece of mind.

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

according to the haynes 6.2 manuel you should have a compression of 320 - 350 # anything under 300 they recomend a rebuild
    and the turbo conversion i agree looks pertty easy
    good luck

6. BowtieBlazer

It wasn't a millitary truck, was a old man truck, one of those great finds for a pristine truck for 1800 bucks, perfect interior cold a/c and all

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Then i would just change out the head gaskets and go for it.

8. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

I just fabbed up an exhaust manifold and dropped a Rayjay on my 6.2 motorhome. No one makes the manifold for my app. I did learn a few things about oil return lines along the way - things I wish I had known in advance.

The 3" & new muffler was $550, everything else came to about $500, but I got a great deal on my turbo. I also did my IP and injectors at the same time, but am not counting their cost in the project since they needed doing.

IMHO the 2 piece rear seal is NOT a bonus. But mine doesn't leak, so I'm not complaining.

FWIW, the 82 "normal" blocks are the best due to high nickel content. The CUCV and Hummer blocks share this trait.

I was surprised at how easy it was to do. Now I'm wondering how to turbo my gas engines! ;-)