Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turn a blazer into an avalanch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnDeere, Apr 20, 2006.

1. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

My dad and I came up with the idea of making my blazer like an avalanch. Were thinking of making it look like a truck then have a sliding window like the avalanch right behind the front seats. We think we can get a hard top and another tail gate and fabracate them into the the blazer so it looks like a truck. I'm stil going to make it a removable and stuff. I think i can cut the back off the top off just enough were i can line one set of holes up on the front of the cab so it can still blot to the cab then the hard part is fabing the tailgate into the bed and still making it removable. We're going to try and do it this summer if yall have any idea on how i could fab the tailgate into the bed and still have it come out so i cant still make it look like a blazer when i want to.

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Its been done before, do a search on burbalanche, or the like. Many pics too.

3. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

heres a crapy picture i drew to kindof ilustrate what im going to do
    [​IMG]
    sorry bout the size but i can get it any bigger

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a pickup tailgate bolts right up to a K5 so no "making it look like a truck" from that aspect.

Kert at DIY4x has a "half cab" on his K5. I started doing a half cab project on my old K5 but went another way with the whole project. seems diy4x is down right now so I can't show any of his pictures

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about start with an Avalanche, so a SFA swap and call it good?

No, forget that. How about building a late 90's truck into something like the "new K5" concept truck? (except with SFA, of course).

How about doing the tonneau cover soft top thing?

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I just bought a '74 Crew Cab body today, and am planning on putting it on a shortbox frame with a small bobbed bed.

It will be a project for sure - I'll keep everyone posted, and when I start I will photograph as many steps as possible.

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go get a complete tailgate and hinge set for a like model truck, this is a bolt-in. The half cab used to made for these trucks in the early '80's I think. The same company that made 'em for the 78-79 Broncos. Might have been later models also, just know where a 78 is that has one. Will try and find out the co. name.

8. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I have been reading about this blazer top on a suburban idea since I became a member of this list and the main thing that I don't like about it is going to a tailgate instead of my beloved barn doors.

I can think of several fabrication options to make the barn doors work but I want to know if anyone has specifically made the barn doors and the blazer window work together.

I am thinking trimmed down barn doors and an S10 style lift window.

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

im planning on doing that hopefully next year... when you do it... lotsa pics of the rear body mounts please :bow: gotta fab something up....