Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn distributor clockwise or counterclockwise to RETARD timing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, May 15, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

On the road now, getting to sea-level car is pinging, I need to retard the timing NOW, what direction do I turn the distributor in a 1990 350?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is your clockwise?
    Turn it in the direction that the rotor is spinning.
    Pull the cap and run the starter or trace plug wires back
    (18436572....?) to determine direction of rotation.
    Wait for twiztid to reply for his opinion/confirmation.
    Your best bet is to get one of the Chevy mechanics on the cell phone if you have one.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 96C4and91K5 on 05/15/01 09:36 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Will the RPMs go up or down when I retard? I forgot.

4. 2Dogs

I think it will go down. How is it going?
    Hopefully twiztid is still watching....

5. 2Dogs

Try to make a refernce mark between the shaft and hold-down plate. This will help if you need to be able to go back to the original setting. Also good to determine how much you are moving the distrib.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

soory, counter clock wise

I was trying to get somewhere here before mty down time.

tomorrow i guess

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 05/15/01 10:07 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. 2Dogs

CCW from the front of the vehicle, correct?
    I am glad you are here - lotta pressure for this backyard wrench bender!

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

dis. hold down is on the lower left hand side (from the front bumper) 1/2" wrench. MARK the dis postion to the INTAKE manifold for a refrence, an thing will work, nick it with a screwdriver or clean the dirt off, identifie off the firewall, whatever.the hold down wil probably be in the way. mark the too- doo what ever works) Lighly loosen the hold down bolt and turn the dis counter clock wize, in the same directin the vac. advance is pointing. Turn slightly, only do a small change for now until you can check it later. That should help with detination problems.

counter clockwise from the top looking down

again- typing fast = typos

I have to go to bed- now! Way to late for me. Please make antmore Q fast!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 05/15/01 10:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Gonna have a drink, cool off and deal with her in the morning.

10. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hey, now that is ALWAYS a winning answer... nothing like dealing with problems w/ a fresh mind! [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Counter clock wise is counter clock wise..... no matter where you sitting..... sheeesh ..... come on guys ( unless your underneath whatever your turning. )

STOLEN '89 K5 - 4" lift... REWARD !!!
    This site rocks!!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

12. 2Dogs

Yup, rectal - cranial - inversion I guess. Sheesh is right!
    Sorry Shum and thanks Tori.

13. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Just razzin' ya...... its all good

STOLEN '89 K5 - 4" lift... REWARD !!!
    This site rocks!!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yup counterclockwise... I'd get a timing light... they're a pretty essential tool to have for doing you're own tune ups and such. For cheaper lights I recomend the Craftsman ones. Pretty affordable... like $50

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

keep theese togather

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Shum:
    Reading your posts and a few things don't set right to me. 1st being a 90 you have FI and the FI should have compinsated for the altitude change. It should correct the fuel mixture and not be getting into a ping situation that easy. Another thing of concern is I thought (might be wrong) that you had a knock sensor so it should be retarding the timming on it's own if it did ping or you got some bad gas.
    I'm leaning towards a possible problem with the O2sensor at this point and a defective knock sensor. Asuming the timming is factory spec what I think might be happening is the O2 has not changed the mixture to account for the denser air. The truck has leaned out and that will cause it to run higher temps and detonate/ping.
    The O2 is supose to be changed every 60k. if you don't know when it was done then replace it. Now 210 is not an unusual temp durring the summer in a TBI vehicle. My company Van runs that as a normal temp. There may be another issue. GM did have a issue with my 95 van in that there was a cavitation issue in the heads at the temp sender for the gage. It would make the gage flake out. The repair was a different water pump that flowed at a different rate. Have you recently changed the pump? On my 95 they put a TRW pump on it but unfortunatly I don't have the part number. I'm also not sure f what years were effected by this, When it happend they had another truck in the shop with the exact same problem.
    I would go a head and spend the cash on a new fan clutch. if it spins free and will coast it's bad. it should have some drag on it. At those temps you should hear the fan roaring while the engine is running.
    I'd try to hook up with AZBlazer if you can since he offered. He just converted a truck the the TBI FI and he is going to know the system and what to look for as well as he's seems to be a pretty good general wrench.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

17. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

How are you guys getting counter clockwise to retard timing. The rotor turns clockwise, thus you should rotate the distributor clockwise so that the rotor takes longer to get to the contact for a given cylinder. If you go counter clockwise, you are moving the contact towards the spinning rotor and will spark sooner, not later. I'm pretty sure this is the way, but I 'm sure I'll be blasted if wrong. JT

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

CCW advances the timing...CW retards it. Unless a 90 350 spins backwards to an 81.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

19. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I'm with tRusty on this one. Think of the vacuum advance canister as an arrow that points to advancing the timing. I learned this a long time ago and have been verified by several mechanics. Your idle will slow down and that's another way to tell.

HTH,

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.

20. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

What the hell is rodded?

Sounds like the clutch fan is working if it is cooling back down while idling. And like grimmy said the computer controls the timing with the input from the sensors. If adjust it manually you'll have to disconnect the terminal that leads to the computer, if not the computer will counter act your adjustment.
    Sounds to me like you have a flow ristriction problem somewhere keeping the cooling preocess from keeing up with the higher load of driving versus at idle.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>