Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn downs or right off the muffler??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The85k5, May 7, 2002.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

Well i have dumps right after my flowmasters right now and i was curious as to how it would sound if i chopped the turndowns after the muffler....their delta flows so their kinda quiet and it needs to be louder /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    any input?
    Robb

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Well I was able to hear my Flowmaster 40 series when the guy at the shop still hadn't installed the side pipes. It sounded way better than after the pipes were installed. Maybe not louder, just cooler. The bad part is that if you leave it like that, you'll get exhaust gases in the cab through your tailgate.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah dude...
    Exhaust gasses in the cab...
    Loud resonance inside the vehicle...
    Headaches and earaches on long trips...
    And visits from johnny law...

are a few things that come to mind thinking about the 2 chamber flowmasters cut off right after the muffler.

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have them dumped after the muffler...i really wish i dident do it...but i kept crushing the pipe so really had no choice...but i hate it like that....its soooo damn loud goin down the freeway..any long trip you head is hurtin....i have the 2 chamber flow and i am wishin i kept the stock muffler on it..but thats just me...it was cool when i was in HS...but since i am slowly turnin into a old bastard i dont like the loud stereos or loud exhaust anymore

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hey Robb just take the whole mufflar off... When I went to the mufflar shop to get my exhaust done,they had to move my K5 so they started it with just the stock manifolds on. Sounded pretty cool /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ... My exhaust is pretty loud and I have tips all the way to the rear bumper. Check the link below. I have to say they are pretty loud on the freeway.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I only have about 12" of pipe off my 2chamber Flowmasters and they turn down and slightly out. I am full convertable so it's already noisy and no fumes have a chance to make it into the cab BUTT on the trail in the summer I make one hellov a dust cloud and I don't dare sit in one spot over and dusty area cuz it just saturates me and my rig's interior with dust! I still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do but I do need to do something diferent!
    Good luck

7. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

Actually my exhuast is very quiet on the freeway...windows down and all....it doesnt resinate one bit....the single 40 series before the duals would resinate alot but these delta flows are very quiet at idle and on the freeway...in overdrive and in drive...i just want a little more rumble at idle.....and i'm still young so my stereo's blasting away anyhow!

8. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

take the mufflers off and just put on headers only headers

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont have tail pipes on my 2 chamber Flows and I dont think its all that bad. I cant really hear the exhaust (unless Im on it) over the sound of the tires. And I used to drive it an hr plus each way to and from work.

10. They day after I installed my Hedman Hedders, I had to drive it to school, so I could go to the muffler shop after and have the pipes reconnected. All I could say was wow! LOUD, real LOUD. Sounded like a Dragster. Never have gotten so many stares before. I could be sitting at a light and rev it a bit and everyone would turn and look, windows up or down. It was insanly loud. Later 80K20

11. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I like 'em loud. My exhaust now consists of Hooker headers and 3" dual pipes turned down at the back axle, no mufflers. I must say it sounds damn good. I only use this truck off road though.