Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turn driveshaft to check gear ratio

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Jun 2, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I have always heard of how you mark the tire and driveshaft, then see how many turns of the driveshaft it takes to turn the tire once. I tried this for I think the third time and it hasnt worked out to well. This time I spun the driveshaft and my 14 Bolt axle turned the tire once after only 2 turns of the driveshaft. I know my axle is not 2:1 gears. So what gives?? And I did the test where you turn one wheel forward and the other wheel went backwards so a locker or two is definately on the list. :cool1:

2. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

if you only had one tire off the ground then the differential gears are going cut your ring and pinion ratio in half; So if it took two turns of the pinion yoke to make one revolution of the tire you probably have 4.10 gears, which is a common axle ratio for a 14 bolt.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

OK ya that sounds better. When I tried it with both tires off the ground one wheel would turn about halfway around then the other wheel would spin. Thanks :grin: