Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turn key off...truck keeps sputtering? *update* solved

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trouble1, Sep 29, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I have a truck that does not want to quit running when I turn the key off....It sputters until I floor it...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Not that this is a huge thing, but its alful annoying..Thanx /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I feel stupid....thanks for all your help!! I recently moved to Colorado and realized today the regular gas here is 85 octane...My blazer(or me) have never seen that low of octane. I drained that crap and filled up with 89 and appears all is better. Thanx,

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

Re: turn key off...truck keeps sputtering?

that is caused by several things timing to high. fuel octane to low idle set high if its really not a problem for you just cut the engine off while you still have it in gear

3. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

As a guess, It almost sounds like your ignition timing is advanced too far. But I might be wrong. Try turning your distributor counterclockwise just a little bit at a time until it stops doing that and you still have good advance and acceleration. I would try that before ripping things apart.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

if I can remember correctly,someone told me to put some ATF in the gas tank and it will burn the carbon off in the carb and will stop the dieseling

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

!!! Absolutely DO NOT put ATF in your gas tank!!! Yes "dieseling" can be caused by excessive engine idle speed, incorrect timing, and or excessive carbon build up. You can use top engine cleaner or atf in the carb to help with some of the carbon build up.

6. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

like I said,IF I can remember correctly......thank you for the correction /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

as mentioned before- several things cause this, and all the things cause excessive engine idle RPM, quickest way to make it quit is to turn outr the idle speed screw on the carb, and until then simply shut off engine while in gear,

engine getting too hot can cause hot spots in some cylinders, enough to act in place of spark and ignite incoming air fuel mix when engine is still revolving
    carb idle speed screw turned in too far and is leaving throttle blades cracked open enoguh to allow enough air fuel mix to get by and into cylinders where it can compress and combust

engine probably has some miles on it, tighter engine would stop a little quicker and reduce chances of run on

if you have pinging noise under acceleration in gear then timing is advanced too far, if you dont have that thne just turn down your idle speed

this condition can cause damage to rod bearings in that out of order firing can push down on pistons not in order and reverse direction of rotation instantaneously and that only can lead to bad things over time,

good luck