Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turn on A/C and then Blazer dies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greyhoundjc, Oct 8, 2006.

1. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

It has happened to me twice now. The truck will be running and I go to switch on the A/C and then it stalls. After it stalls, I have to jiggle the keys in the ignition for a minute and then she starts back up. I have had my battery and alt checked and everything is fine and the volmeter was reading 14 right before it happened last.

Could this be a bad ignition switch? This is on a `82 K5.

2. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Is your idle stop solenoid set right

3. greyhoundjc

I have no idea. How could I tell? This has been a new development as far as the stalling goes. I have used the A/C since I bought the truck 2.5 years ago and I haven't changed anything lately, I think, that would cause this problem.

4. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

There's a solenoid right in front of the throttle linkage on the carb. When you turn the a/c on there is a plunger that should pop out to hold the linkage and give it a tad bit higher idle to compensate for the extra load being put on the engine by the a/c.

Check to make sure that plunger is coming out and holding the linkage. If its bad it won't come out or it could just need to be adjusted

You adjust it with a 1/2 in wrench and turn it out to bring it out more

Hopefully its an easy fix and this info is useful

5. greyhoundjc

That is a good idea but I don't think its the problem. Right after I bought the truck, I swapped the Quadrajet carb for a Truck Avenger, and without looking at it, I don't believe that solenoid transfered over. I will take a look when I get home though.

The problem I am having seems like an electrical gremlin. The first time it stalled I had the truck in gear and was moving at some decent RPM's.

Any other ideas?

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is the a/c working? Could be you have a leak in the a/c system and the compressor is locked up (or at least starting too). If the belt is tensioned tight, a locked up compressor can stall the engine. You should hear the belt howling as the compressor clutch kicks in.