Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn Signal blows fuse

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fixmy59bug, Mar 6, 2007.

1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

I tried posting this in the towing forum as well, but that forums is kinda slow so I am also posting it here. If that is against the rules, feel free to delete this thread.

Recently I had to buy a 5x8 utility trailer for some stuff I was hauling. I bought the adapter for my 89 suburban to plug in the trailer harness and thuoght all was good. Not really, Late that night as I was driving home I was pulled over because the lights on the trailer were flickering off and on. After inspecting the harness on the side of the road, the officer was kind enough to let me go with a warning because we found out the adapter I just bought didn't have a dedicated ground prong. So essentially is it grounded through the tongue/hitch point. So when I got home, I took out the adapter and hardwired in a 4 pin (with ground) plug. Now my only problems are with the turn signals. I upgraded to an electronic flasher to cure the hyper blink. But now after a day of towing, I have no more turn signals. For some reason the fuse blows. If I disconnect the trailer and leave the electronic flasher in, There are no problems. It won't blow the fuse. Anyone have any ideas on why the trailer would blow the fuse after a day of towing? Thanks alot.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

When mine did it, it was a short in the wiring harness.

3. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Does the fuse blow when you apply the brakes? Best thing to do is just install new wiring. This will eliminate any wiring issues. Then check the taillights on the trailer to make sure there are no shorts in the light assemblies. Sometimes water can get into the housing and short the sockets out.

4. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

No, the fuses do not blow when I step on the brakes. Only the turn signals. I was wondering if it may be the electronic flasher that I am using. But if that were the case, why would it be only when the trailer is hooked up? This has got me baffled. I have not had the time to go and inspect the wiring or replace it yet.

5. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

The electronic flasher should not be a problem. I use one in my Blazer with no problems at all and I have towed several different trailers with no problems. Focus on the trailer wiring then. Look for any chaffing where the wire is run. Also check the sockets in the lights on the trailer.

6. engrgrad

engrgrad Registered Member

If stuff flickers on and off tells you something is overloaded and it sounds like a short. I would remove everything that you added after the cops stopped you and start over. My guess is something you did after adding the hardwiring. Grounding via the hitch is ok and you should probably go back to the previous setup.