Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signal housing loose, Steering wheel wiggles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get the old Liberator up and running again. The one thing that is stopping me from taking it on test drive is the tilt steering wheel being loose. It looks like the turn signal housing is loose (where it pivots for the tilt). The rest of the column is mounted solidly in the truck. Is there a nut that needs to be tightened? What would cause this? I've done several searches and looked through Chilton's to no avail. It's for a 1981 K5 with tilt steering. Local shop says they'll rebuild the column but I think something is just loose! Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

There are bearings inside the column and when they get loose it does this.
    They can't really be tightened up with a nut or anything, they basically just need to be replaced or rebuilt.

I took mine apart and bought the bearings from the dealer reassembled it and the woble was gone!

3. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply! Was it a fairly easy task? What am I getting myself into?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

90% of the time the only problem is that the 4 too-small-and-have-no-loctite-from-the-factory screws in the column work loose. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They hold the upper section of the column to the lower section. Somewhere on the site is a great writeup on how to get to the screws to tighten them. I took mine out and applied loctite to the threads so that hopefully I'll never have to go in for that problem again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

The search function is hosed right now so ya can't even look for the article. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Perhaps see if it is listed as a tech link from the main page?

6. HarryH3

7. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Wow! Great job searching! It looks like an excellent write-up. Three pages to print and very detailed in it's descriptions. Thank You!

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I used the same write up to tighten mine.. I didn't replace any bearings.. I just tore it down.. and tightened everything I could find.. it really wasn't that difficult.. hope it works out for you.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just tighten up the tilt screw, this is a VERY common problme with all GM columns that tilt

ppl who say it needs rebuild are just wanting to get money from you by charging you a bunch for a simple fix