Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signal lever replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by redkick17, Dec 1, 2002.

1. redkick17

redkick17 Newbie

I am trying to replace the turn signal lever on my 1985 K5 Blazer. I have a new lever but do not know how it comes out of the switch. Is it held in by a set screw and do I have to take the steering column apart?

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

Is it a full function arm, ie cruse/wiper delay or is it just the turn signal?

if its the full on one than its like mine and yes you have to dig down in the steering wheel. its really not that hard though. however i've never tried to unhook the wiring on the lever so /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

to get to it you

1. remove horn cap
    2. use torx driver to remove horn stuff
    3. i think its a 3/4" nut thats hold the wheel on
    4. the fun part- use bearing or get a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off
    5. the other fun part- use the right tool to compress the spring that holds the lock ring or place both knees on the plastic washer thing press down and with regular small screwdriver try and remove the lock ring.

6. there's 3 phillips head screws holding the blinker stuff
    than your in there...

of course if you don't have a tilt wheel than all this could be irrevelent /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. redkick17

redkick17 Newbie

It is a full function arm. It has Cruise, wiper and headlight dimmer. I have had the turn signal switch out but could not get the arm out. I think the arm is in the wiper switch. The switch still works but the arm is broken off. I can turn it with pliers and the wipers work. Just can't get to the switch to get the new arm in.

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the metal center shaft of the arm snaps in place in the wiper switch, just pull straight out on it and it will pop out, push the new one in to replace it. If you can fish the cruise wire down through the column you won't have to disassemble the column, it may be run inside a sleeve inside the column, in which case it would be necessary to disassemble it to remove it.

5. redkick17

redkick17 Newbie

Thanks, got the lever out OK. The wire is in a plastic sleeve so I may have to disassemble the column.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On some S-10's (not sure when this started) the turn signal stalk has a wiring connector right at the stalk...pull the stalk, disconnect plug, replace. Super easy. I'd be tempted to find one of those in the wrecking yard, and solder the plug to your existing wiring. Saves from ripping into the column.