Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signal quit???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Feb 27, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

So I was towing a trailer into town this morning and I had my flashers on because the lights on the trailer only worked for brakes, turn signals, and flashers. Then I dropped the trailer in town and immediatly noticed my signal lights no longer work. What in the world happened?

My wife also drove it last night and tilted the column down a little. It might have happened then. I dunno!
    Any ideas?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

blown fuse...

Most likely you popped a fuse for the brake and tail lights..or the flasher couldn't handle the load of all the bulbs,if the fuse is good(and the lights work,but wont flash)..you need a hevy duty flasher for towing,the cheap OEM plastic ones can't handle more bulbs than the truck came with stock,and will make the bulbs flash rapidly,and most likely croak in a short time period..:crazy:

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Also, if you don't find a blown fuse, check the flasher module itself. Often times they can overheat and die when left on for extended periods of time with heavy loads like adding the trailer lights. If it is bad do yourself a favor and buy a "heavy duty" or "towing" module.

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

So it was a blown fuse. What do I need to upgrade to handle a trailer. I put in a new fuse and it burned through within a couple of minutes.
    Thanks

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the fuse popped while unhooked from the trailer? Start checking wiring. Especially where the trailer harness is hooked in. First thing I do when I have a fuse popping problem on a truck is check for a trailer harness. So many guys HACK the trailer harnesses into the factory wiring so badly it just leads to trouble.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What he said. Especailly if the plug is not in a solid mount. The wires can pull and the insulation can strip off. I regular fuse will be an instant burn. If yours takes a couple of minutes, then you need to remember what you did just before it blew. I would try turning on the parking lights then hit the brakes then turn signal each way then the flashers. Check the fuse after every time and that will narrow your problem down.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had that problem with the insulation stripping off. In the reciever. Gave me fits for a while. I would run down the short.

8. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

It must be the trailer harness. Only happens with the trailer hooked up. It runs the original harness (small round 5 or seven point I think) I will do the fuse check that leper mentioned. I might have some bare wires or something.
    We will see.
    Thanks