Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turn signal switch HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Jun 22, 2005.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys I have a 73 blazer non tilt column as far as I can tell it is the orginal column. I am replacing the turn signal switch but it does not fit the female plug has anyone else run into this?the two spades on the right do not fit they are off by about 3/16 of an inch and the very sides are slightly different.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. blazinzuk

ttt please help me

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

are you sure its the right app Delco part? and not for a newer truck.....

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, I wasn't aware that those connectors ever changed '73-87(91) except the wiring positions/how many wires.

5. blazinzuk

the picture is the orginal part Here is one with the new part compared to the old part. I got back from the parts house and we checked the plug against every gm turn signal switch that he had everything from vans to medium duty trucks all of them had the same plug as the new part none of them matched the old part. I am going to cut and splice the old plug in. Unless someone knows a way to pull the spades out of the plug I can't figure out how too

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't cut and splice, every connector I'm aware of is "locked" in place, but removable.

Probably need to go in from the blade side with something thin (paperclip) and depress a barb on one side of the blade. Usually shining a light in from either side (blade or wire) will allow you to see how/where the locking barb is. Push the wire *into* the connector with one hand, push the paperclip (jewelers screwdrivers work well in some cases too) in with the other, then pull back on the wire while leaving the paperclip in place. Once you've done it a couple of times you will probably feel when you get the barb depressed. You need to exert a little force due to the friction of the paperclip which is usually forced against the connector body, but you will NEVER need to exert so much force that the wire breaks, which it will if you try to pull too hard. :)

Make sure that the wires do the same things in both switches. Just because the number of wires is the same, doesn't mean both wires in cavity "A" on the connector go to the same place at the switch. If they ARE in a different position, now is time to find out, not after you reinstall. I *know* the wiring changed over the years, (position in the connector) just not sure when.