Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signal switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4_76, Mar 17, 2002.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I was wondering that could I use t/s swithc from -88 or newer truck on my -80 Blazer.Switch that has also wiper,hi/lo swithc,cruise.I guess it's not a bolt-on,but little creative mind,would it work?Or is it easier to use whole steering column from newer truck?

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

you talkin' the actual switch or the lever ?

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Both.I guess it could be possible to use only the lever,but the hi/lo switch stays on the floor,and I think it's more convenient to use one that is on column.
    I was thinking that maybe I find a t/s and wiper switch/lever combination of a Toyota Carina(basicly only thing that I like on that car) and modify it to a K5's column.It has wiper lever on right,and t/s on left.IMHO that is most convenient way to do it.I'm gonna have floor shifter so the column shifter won't give any trouble if I have wiper lever on right side.
    Oh well,that's one of my crazy ideas,to use Toyota parts on Chevy.D'ouh,what a nightmare.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You're kinda between a rock and hard place there if you want that column. You're '80 has the cruise switch with one button, right? The newer ones have and extra slide switch on it. Theoretically it could be done, but I don't think its worth it. I'd keep it simple. You have everything all spread out nice and easy to get at. I think they put waaaaay to much on those late model turn signal knobs. But hey just find a donor and grab all the stuff, plus the eletronic cruise speedo, harness, and underhood stuff and convert and you'll have a better cruise setup.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Actually,it doesn't have cruise now,but I was going to install one if I come by a donor truck.

I don't like the wiper switch on 73-91 trucks.I guess I'm used to use lever on steering column,so it's kinda annoying to try find switch on the dash in dark.Even if it has light on it.And it's even harder to use if I have gloves.

On my '89 K1500,first it was difficult to use wipers because one lever had cruise and hi/lo+t/s,but after a while it was really easy.I even had remote for stereo right next to it,and that remote had lots of knobs.Hard to use first,but when learned,I didn't need to look at it when I changed the song etc.,just grabbed the knob.

My whole point is safety.If can get all the important controls close to steering wheel,I can watch the road all the time,but still use controls safely.I'm even going to modify my stereo remote on steering wheel/forums/images/icons/cool.gif.