Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signal/wiper/cruise switch replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, May 27, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

What all is the procedure for replacing a Turn signal/wiper/cruise switch on the column? What all do I need to do? A write up would be nice, i got a used column with a switch in it im gonna put it, just need to know how, ripping out a column is easy, just what now lol.

2. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

First question, is it a tilt column or not...?

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh its tilt, forgot that little detail lol.

4. krazed01

krazed01 Newbie

you will need some new bearings and plastic retainers ( you will be chaseing these things every where) and while you are in there you should tichten the 4? screws that prevent the wobble. there is a toot for revoving the c clip on main shaft looks like a u shape and threads onto the steer shaft. If you have to remove the tilt knuckle there is another special tool here . all in all it will be kinda easy if you have those tools and a hour.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

believe you can snake the turn signal switch wiring through the column without tearing into it very far, but if you have any doubts about how "tight" the tilt is, do yourself a favor and tear it down to the 4 bolts that always loosen up.

Also, if you use your steering wheel to pull yourself into the truck, tear it down and loctite those screws, or stop using the steering wheel as a hand-hold /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

whew ok lost this post for awhile......i feel clinically blind lol. Anyway, i have no doubts as to how tight my column is, before i bought the truck the guy had just had the column redone (had a receipt) but he didnt have the switch replaced and my wipers freak out all the time so i think the switch is the problem. So without messin w/ the tilt, is there a writeup on just the switch replacement?

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I don't know of a write-up on that one...
    The job is fairly straight forward, but a pain in the *ss...
    The most important piece of advice I can give you is pay close attention to how the wires are routed as you disassemble...
    But first lets talk about your problem... just what are your wipers doing? Do you have delay wipers? When you turn your wipers on or off, do you feel the detent? Is the turn signal cam and headlight dimmer switch working properly?
    If problems occur while moving the steering wheel, the person who rebuilt the column may not have assembled the unit properly and some of your wires have chafed and shorted (been there, done that). In that case the switch will need to be replaced as the wires are an integral part of the switch. Forget using a splice; there is no room.
    If you can feel the detents in the switch and the turn signal canceling cam works fine, I would be inclined to believe the switch is okay (for now). You could have a problem with the wiper delay control box (if equipped) or wiper motor.
    If you would like, give a full description of your problem and I'll see if I can help.
    It will probably be tomorrow afternoon (Friday) before I can get back to you though.
    Good luck!

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, heres the whole derned problem lol. I started havin the prob when the tilt was in certain positions, either all the way up or one notch down but i never used these so was no big deal...what it was doin is whenever the truck would idle in park the wipers would swipe once........but only if it idled for about 5 mins, and only if it was in park. Then it started doing this in all the column spots.....then it started doing it most of the time, when you switched the key to accesory, in park, and then after it idled in park...well now it does it everytime in every colum spot when you switch the key on, so ive started switchin the key (not to accesory) shiftin to N and then starting just to avoid this. Also I do have delay wipers, BUT when it started doing it everytime i switch it to acc, the wipers will go and not stop until I use the single swipe get em to the bottom and release...Also the delay wipers dont work, on the first click they are on low, low is low, high is high, but then switching em to off they stay on low until i mist em to the bottom and release. Everyone I talked to thinks it is the switch, and since I got a switch in a suburban column I figured I would give it a go. The turn signal cancelling cam is fine, the headlight switching is fine. I do however notice, not sure if this is universal, that my turn signal switch is kinda stiff, like i cant switch it with my left ring finger like i can in any other vehicle, it takes my 'signalling finger' to do the job. Any ideas on this catastrophe? I can grab any of these parts off the burban so its no real problem as far as parts go. Thanks, I tried to make this as clear as I can.

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Sorry it took so long to get back...
    I can just about guarantee that when your column was reassembled your wires were bunched up and ultimately chafed. Unfortunately it does mean you'll need to replace the switch.
    Good luck!
    Don't hesitate PM me if you have anymore questions!
    As I said before, the switch replacement is a pain. Tips for tearing into the column:
    First get a Haynes manual... some steps in there may not be quite clear but it is very helpful
    Also, when you pull your horn button off (by lightly prying), make sure you disconnect the electrical lead (not just from the horn button, but from inside the column by pushing in on the plastic piece and turning a little) or you'll rip it off when you remove the wheel.
    You'll need a couple special tools... a steering wheel lock
    ring compressor to compress the lock plate and remove the c-clip, and a steering wheel puller. Neither of these are very expensive.
    Once you get all the switches out (including the ignition switch) remove the 3 screws holding the upper part of the housing. From there you can remove the pivot pin and wiper switch. IMPORTANT... there is a little plastic cam the goes in the housing and pushes on a metal rod to actuate your dimmer switch. Make sure you make a note of the orientation of these to aid in reassembly.
    Don't hesitate to PM me if you have anymore Q's.
    Good luck!

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Haven't looked at an ignition switch before, but if you pull the column, or drop it at least, you can probably check the wires integrity without pulling them, since some of them will haveto have continuity to ground, or to the other wires on the column if frayed wires are the issue.