Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signal wire ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shanno, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Shanno

Shanno Registered Member

I have a '72 Blazer and I put a new turn signal switch in. When I disconnected the half moon plug under the dash I noticed that one of the dark blue wires is fried. The wire attaches to the switch on top, so it would make sense that it's hot when the lever is up (right turn) and there are 2 wires going out of the half moon plug, is it safe to assume that it's probably the right turn signal? Does anyone happen to know what wire that is? I tried following it through the firewall but I loose it the harness. Hoping to narrow it down before I fire it up and fry it again (the switch was broke and the wire was fried when I bought it).

Thanks, Mike.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I do not think anyone is going to be able to give you an answer on this from wrote memory. They will have to go to the trouble of looking it up for you in a wiring diagram. I am not sure if anybody wants to go to this length. The best way is for YOU to look at a factory-wiring diagram for YOUR truck. The diagram will indicate the color of each wire, so YOU can trace it to see exactly what it controls. Try reposting, and ask for somebody to post a wiring diagram of your truck (if they have it). There some people on this web site that have a pretty extensive collection of wiring diagrams they can post for you.

Remember: "God helps them that helps themselves."

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dark blue is your right turn signal. The most likely (NOT the only) situation is the wire got pinched or the insulation is broken somewhere under the hood. You will have to take the petrified harness wrap off of it to inspect it. Over near the right side of the engine compartment it should splice into a brown wire (going from memory here, so I could be wrong on color), but it will splice into a wire that goes down to the front marker light and over to the side marker light. Check all of these out, making sure the condition of the wire is acceptable. If it all checks out, there can be other issues, but I think this will probably be the most likely place to start. Does the right turn signal blink slower than the left one?? Is it brighter or dimmer or the same as the left?? The answers to these questions will point you in the direction you need to go.
    Good luck.

P.S. Like previously mentioned, pick up a factory service manual, it will become your best friend in diagnosing electrical issues. Most restorations suppliers have them available and they are cheap for the amount of information they contain.

4. Shanno

Shanno Registered Member

Thanks mosesburb, you confirmed what I was thinking.