Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signal wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stormin, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

I'm setting up my blazer with a towbar and I'm trying to figure out how to do the wiring. I have a 4 point male trailer pigtail that I want to put on the front of the blazer so I can plug it in to the trailer harness of the towing vehicle. I've thought about just going to an RV dealership and buying some of those magnetic lights that come prewired with a pigtail but I would much rather have the tow vehicle control the turn signals and brake lights on the blazer.

What I am wondering is if I were to just cut into the wiring to the front turn signals and hook up the trailer pigtail to that will it work? Am I going to run into any problems with the turn signal flasher on the blazer?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wire harness...

Your blazer has a plug for the rear tailight harness under the truck.

--if your blazer already has a trailer wiring plug and a hitch,you can simply tap into the plug that would usually go to the trailer,and run new wires to the tow vehicles trailer plug..

.if not,you can unplug that plug in the factory harness to the tailights and either make your own harness by chopping the same wires and plug off another truck at a junkyard,and add the matching plug to plug into the tow vehicle,and plug it into the blazers harness....or buy one of those "T" fittings that plug into the factory harness and wire the trailer plug on that to the tow vehicle,then you wont have to crawl under it every time .....I'd avoid cutting any wires on the blazers harness if possible..those "T" fittings are about 10-15 bucks at Wal-Mart or other stores...you'll need a few of the matching 4 prong plugs too,and 15' of trailer wire if you go that route.. :crazy: