Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turn signals quit working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Oct 21, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My turn signals quit working. I checked the fuse and it was blown so I put a new one in. I proceeded to try the turn signals and as soon as i flipped the switch my truck started acting like someone was shorting out the battery till the fuse popped. Anybody know what could be causing this? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Trailer wiring (usually installed by an incompetent PO) is a typical cause of shorts.

Could even be in the column though, since the wires pass through the tilt mechanism. Ever smelled smoke inside the cab or seen it coming from the column?

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

No, i havent seen any smoke in the cab yet. But I know before I got my truck they put a new turn signal switch in it because the old one was bad. I do believe that it still has the factory trailer harness installed on it. But I went out and put a fuse in it again and this time it held the fuse without poping. So i will see how long this one lasts.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, hacked up trailer wiring is a very likely candidate for the problem. Look back near the rear bumper, under the truck, for those crappy ScotchLock connectors, electrical tape that is falling off, etc. I've also heard of vandals stuffing steel wool into those round trailer wiring connectors and shorting out the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Now how would you know about the vandals??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J/K...

I also agree to check the trailer wiring for fine examples of engineering marvel. I had an intermittent problem of blowing a turn signal fuse when I first bought my truck. After sifting through a rats nest of Scotch-Loks and other wonderful things, I found the reverse lead shorting to both the turn signal leads and ground. Put truck into reverse = blown turn signal fuse. That was fun to fix!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, I just got done checking the trailer harness and that is not it. Its all factory and all the connectors were in excellent condition. Im beginning to wonder if its my alarm in my truck? I know that for some reason the siren quit working, maybe it also affected the turn signals and is now grounding them out. Does that make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If your alarm is tied into the flashers, then that could be the cause of the problem.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Now we're getting somewhere. Follow the alarm wiring and you found your culprit.
    It takes some back and forth but eventually, you always manage to find the problem yourself, isn't thinking outloud nice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Check your blinker fluid.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, fixed it. The alarm module went bad i geuss /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. So i took it out for the time being. I also found out that I had no tail lights /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So i popped the new fuses in for the blinkers and the tail lights and it worked. Thanks for all the help, and yes i made sure my blinker fuild was full. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, it blew the fuses again today /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif So, now i have no tail lights or blinkers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Someone has to know something on how to fix this thing. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK tru and take out the housing on all turn signals, and check the wires for fraying or shaffing. See if there is any bulb that is not working and shorting out.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with iceman...if it were a constant problem I'd say do a continuity test from all turn signal bulbs to ground, but chances are the wires wouldn't be making contact when you check it : )

Should be easy enough to see where the wires have been tampered with, or where they have been rubbing.

ANYWHERE the wires have been tampered with, remove any "hiding" material, such as electrical tape, and if you did the work, and didn't solder and shrink wrap any connections, you might as well pull them apart and check them, and then solder and shrink wrap the connections.

I *hate* wiring problems, and I hate even more wiring problems caused because people messed with it in the first place : )