Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turndowns in cali on an emmissions k5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i am with out a doubt puttin a flowee on my '81 k5. the question is, can i just put a 90 degree turn down at the outlet as long as it is BEHIND the rear axle? i heard that as long as it dumps behind the rear axle, its legal. is this true in CALIFORNIA? or do i have to have pipes all the way out from under the body? thanx in advance.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Not sure if this is true for cali but here I belive the exhaust has to dump behind any passenger compartments(?) which on a K5 would be at the bumper....

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know we can't run turn downs here...they can't safely get the sniffer thing in to do the emissions test. At least that is what they tell you if you show up with turn downs.

Rene

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm in CA too, I've smogged a car with turndowns, and my truck has exhaust that exits in front of the rear wheels, they didn't have a problem with that either. As far as I know there are no smog laws concerning the exhaust system downstream of the cat. </font color>

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a law in california that says the exhaust must exit over the rear axle and out the side behind the rear tire on any vehicle that has a passenger compartment which has a rear window that may be rolled down. This is so that the passengers don't get carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust fumes that will roll back into the rear of the vehicle when the rear window is open. As far as the smog crap goes, it really doesn't matter. You might find some shops that will not smog it because the exhaust isn't where it is supposed to be or because it is too hard to get at for the sniffer.

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Mine turns down about a foot in front of the axle, and I haven't been hassled about it. As long as the equipement is there most shops won't give you a bad time. Just be sure the turn down does not blow directly on the axle or brake lines, in the slow and crawly stuff you could overheat the fluids

7. demon

demon Registered Member

I wouldnt know, my blazer failed miserably. I didnt realize that the smog technicians would notice I was missing the complete exhaust system on my setup... rofl

Gross Poluter /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Mine turn down right after the axle. The tech did not even mention it.