Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turndowns

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Jan 14, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

My 91K5 needs a new exhaust system. I am looking at the Dynomax coated headers and their exhaust kit with dual flowmasters. My question is if anybody uses turndowns. I have them on my 71 C-10 and i love them. The muffler sits right infront of the axle and a turndown piece is added so that it doesn't heat the axle and break lines. I like this setup and i have never smelt exhaust with it. So will it work w/my K5? Also back in high school some guys cut there converters open and cleaned them out so they flowed freely and then welded them back up so they would pass inspection. I live in Tx and there is no emissions testing so we can kinda get by with that kinda stuff. Anybody ever do this either? Just wondering if anybody ran into any probs. ANY info is greatly appreciated

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I drove with turndowns to the muffler shop when I was having tailpipes bent and it was stinky to say the least.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Do you run a soft top or a Hard top?

4. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Turn downs are illegal in texas on a k5 . The exhaust pipes have to exit from under the truck since it has a hard top unlike a pickup . I drove mine with turn downs a couple of days untill i got the pipes put on . Had to keep the windows down the fumes got so bad.

<font color=red>A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... </font color=red>[​IMG]

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Aiight thanks for the info Ya'll

91K5 350 2.5in Suspension lift 33/12.5

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run turndowns on my Firebird and have no problems. Every once in a while you can smell it, but not to often. I like way it sounds that way though :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I don't understand how they can make that law and most hatchback cars exhaust doesn't go past the body. like late model camro's and such. Oh well. I still that it adds a nice sound plus it looks cool when it's cold and the condensation creates the vapor.

8. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

In Texas, the law states that it has to exit past the passenger compartment, so any hatchback that doesn't exit out the rear is illegal, Camaros included.

Shoeless
    '88 K5

9. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

In Texas, the law states that it has to exit past the passenger compartment, so any hatchback that doesn't exit out the rear is illegal, Camaros included. As far as cats go, it the vehicle is newer than '84 it has to have them, it is part of the inspection to check if they are there(no matter where you live in Texas). There is no real way to tell if they have no guts inside them, so unless you live in an emissions county(Harris, Tarrant, El Paso), then it would not be a big deal to hollow them out.

Shoeless
    '88 K5

10. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info shoeless