Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turning 6" springs into 4" springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Dec 20, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Turning 6\" springs into 4\" springs

I currently have a 6" RC all spring lift. I will be installing 8" superlift springs in front and going to do a shackle flip in the rear so I will need 4" springs not 6".
    Can I remove a couple leafs from my current 6" RC rear spring pack to bring it down to 4"? (like maybe the overload and next smaller spring up)
    Any side effects?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Turning 6\" springs into 4\" springs

haha, your truck is sweet, now you've got the bug and you are going farther. I'd say, remove the overload, and maybe one long leaf. Overload should be 1". Removing the overload would give you like 9" lift ni the back, maybe you could see how that works first.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I would suggest calling RC and asking them.
    Usually you dont want to remove the overload, that protects the springs from going into a negative arch and damaging them. Usually the one above the OL is where to start for one leaf, dont know about 2 leafs

4. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    haha, your truck is sweet, now you've got the bug and you are going farther. I'd say, remove the overload, and maybe one long leaf. Overload should be 1". Removing the overload would give you like 9" lift ni the back, maybe you could see how that works first.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yup it never ends does it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Well it all started the rear was lower than the front so I added some 2" blocks, now the front looks too low. So I got a sweet deal on some new 8" springs from superlift direct. Now I wanna get rid of the rear 2" block, add an echobit flip, but that would put my rear lift way to high. The RC springs are stiff (5 leafs plus overload) so I was hoping I could remove a couple leafs, make them ride better and decrease height at the same time /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If its still too high I will add a zero rate to the front. Dont wanna go any higher than that though.

So remove a long leaf, not the short leaf right above the overload?

I could call RC, but I respect you guys advice much more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got a sweet deal on some new 8" springs from superlift direct

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope they were the Superrides springs. Superlift is on the upper end of stiff springs. I have 4" superrides with UHMWPe strips in between and its still on the stiff side but im going to add different bumpers and a winch later so that may help. Im still thinking about removing one leaf from minee to help smooth things and level the truck.

Heres the Springrate table

6. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i would think most of the lift comes from the main leaf with the others supporting it.hard to say what removing leaves will do till you put weight on them!

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I turned my 6" fronts into 4" by taking out the veary botom leaf and not the one right above it but the one above that one. Now it rides better flexes more and leveled it out but it has way morebody roll(no sway bar) hope it helps

8. 88jimmy4x4

y5mgisi, thats kinda what I want to do on the rear. Just wanna make sure Im not gonna cause the other leafs to weaken and/or break.

I could buy some 4" spring packs, I just dont wanna waste the money if I can do this and gain a better ride, but if I have to I will.

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

You really should be o.k. If you are real woried about it and want some reassurance, make some bump stops to stop them once they go alittle into the negative arch zone

10. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I took out the over load leaf on my 2 1/2 skyjacker rear springs and it really tore them up. I did this put it all back together and went on a snow run. when I got home I looked under my truck and my rear springs looked like a huge S. I ended up putting the leaf back in but eventualy I had to buy new springs

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'd sell the 6 inchers...

6 inch rear springs are always easy to sell

or trade soemone for 4 inchers... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

ORD has a 2 inch shackle flip that would allow you to use your 6 inch springs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Your new avitar is much better Jeff!

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the old one.

The Echobit flip is more like 5-6", not 4. You're probably going to have to removed quite a few leaves to get it where you want it in that case.

I have 6" Superlift front springs and an Echobit flip out back with stock 52s and my back sits higher than the front! And the 52s are from the mid-70s!

15. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the old one.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i had gained a few pounds and so i couldn't downsize it enough to fit into 80x80 pixels and plus i lost some more hair and the glare from the flash it looked like a white blob anyway /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Oh ididnt mean to tel him to take the over load out /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Just the one above it and the second leaf up from that one. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]

The Echobit flip is more like 5-6", not 4. You're probably going to have to removed quite a few leaves to get it where you want it in that case.

I have 6" Superlift front springs and an Echobit flip out back with stock 52s and my back sits higher than the front! And the 52s are from the mid-70s!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang I didnt know the echobit was that much. But if your superlift was 6" and the echobit was 5-6" how does it sit higher in the back? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

So what do I need then some 2" lift springs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

You havent even had it lifted 3months have you? You not gonna change the wheels and tire yet I Hope /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually sound like you gotta trend going so why dont you just put a Zero rate and HD ORD shackles in with those 8in spings and have 10in all the way around /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I forgot about the ORD 2" lift. I'd go with that setup over the echobit and 2" springs.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang I didnt know the echobit was that much. But if your superlift was 6" and the echobit was 5-6" how does it sit higher in the back? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

So what do I need then some 2" lift springs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just put your stock springs back in and use the Echobit. If it's too low, you can throw a zero rate or a block in. I wouldn't go to 8" springs. There's no reason, and you'll regret it later.