Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turning a transmission cooler into a PS cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have a radiator out of a 78ish c10. it has the trans cooler lines on the drivrs side. why i dont know, but it does. it is a 4 core radiator, with air. i wont be using the air, and i am swapping in a 465 trans. so, could i use the cooler for my power steering?
    Grant

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

It should work, but be sure you plumb it on the return side of the system, the pressure would probably be too high on the high pressure side for the cooler.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Only problem I see is it will warm the fluid to the eng operating temp. Im not sure what a PS pump runs at but I am pretty sure its a lot cooler than the coolant in the radiator. If you have any old auxillary tranny coolers laying around use one of them.

4. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree with pureinsanity. Just buy a cheap aux. tranny cooler for like $20 and use it for you PS cooler. That's what I did and it works great.

Will.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

point well made. guess i will have to use the tranny cooler i have... if i still have it. it was brand new...
    thanks.
    grant

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personal;ly i dont see anything wrong with using a stock aluminum fin copper tube tranny cooler for cooling other fluids like oil or dextron, but yeah i wouldnt use rad cooler ports for p\s fluid, no

you can find stock original p/s coolers on heavier GVW trucks like 3/4 tons and 1 tons, i have one off a 74 454 C20 th400 truck i may use on the 81 if i keep p/s in which i probably will just convert to manual and sell all as a package for like 50 or something trade.

i also have a couple such tranny coolers off soe 77-79 Big 10;s and oil cooler setups off same trucks laying around to maybe use some day or something

you can find this stuff if you look around or collect parts trucks, i know where a 79 Big 10 is in alocal gravel pit i want the coolers off it and heads off the 350 and some other stuff too maybe the 12 bolt cuz of the larger brakes and hopefully better than 3.07 ratio gears, more like 3.40 or 3.73, hmm.. both are stock for truck 12 bolt of these years

good luck!