Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turning down dually hubs.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-tonmudder, Jan 9, 2007.

1. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I have heard it talked about and know it is being done,but I have a few ??'s about turning down DW hubs to make them SW.

1.I assume it is the flange where the wheel studs are that is to be turned down,is that right.

2.Once the flange is turned down do I need to turn the rest of it down anymore before the wheel will fit over it?

3.After being turned down will the wheel studs go where the disc retaining bolts go??

4.If so do I need to drill out the threads in the hub that the rotor is bolted on with so that the wheel studs will go in.

5.The DW rotors do not have spline's for the wheel studs,will I have to use SW rotors that have the spline.

Any input will be appreciated,and pics would be even better.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

u have to machine the wms off the outside so it is flush w/ the body of the hub. the bolts will go where the rotor retaining bolts go. yes the threads need to be drilled out. yes u need srw rotors.

u main concern is that the rotor mounting surface is not solid. most people get a wheel sapcer to go around that so u get a nice flat wms. after machining the drw u will be slightly narrower that a srw so there is room for the wheel spacer.

3. 1-tonmudder

Is the spacer something I can buy or do I have to have it made??

4. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Check out the dana 60 bible on pirate. Towards the bottom, there is great detail on exactly what to do.. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

also i might have some more info on my comp.. i just have to find it.. here is a picture of one of my machined down hubs, and a reg. dually hub..hopefully that helps.
    [​IMG]

5. 1-tonmudder

Yeah I googled it and found your pics and the post on Pirate,The only question I have left is where to get the WMS ring to weld on.

I know machine shop prices will vary,but what did it cost you(roughly)??

6. 1-tonmudder

Once the WM flange is machine off could it not be true'd up and reused for the WMs or is it destroyed??

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i think it is also a matter of strength

8. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I am not sure.. I used a torch to cut the original wheel flange off.. I then contacted Kert and DIY4X and talked to him about making some custom wheel flanges to weld to the flower looking mounting surface.. He quoted me a really reasonable price too.. His work is second to none..